This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for BIOS update to allow disabling fTPM?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
System: Windows 10 64-bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zephyrus G15 GA503QS
Frequency of occurrence: Random
Reset OS: Too Many Times
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hello, since AMD have officially acknowledged the fTPM stutter issues that have been plaguing me since getting my laptop, would it be possible for ASUS to release a new version of my laptop's BIOS that allows me to disable fTPM until and if an actual fix arrives? I know AMD claims to have something in the works but it still requires waiting at least until May, and even then it might not even work in the end. In any case I'd like to be able to disable fTPM, I don't think it's right to force it on me.
Unfortunately the support in my country is a complete travesty (they still ignore the fTPM issue even though it's been in news media and AMD themselves said the issue exists, in fact before the issue got official recognition they went as far as trying to convince me that 1. my laptop doesn't have any TPM and 2. that AMD chipsets don't support TPM in general) so I can't get any assistance from them.
89 REPLIES 89

Hamstray
Rising Star I
This is ridiculous, fTPM is an optional feature that has been admitted to be able to cause issues with regular use of my computer. To have no plans to allow me to disable it is just terrible service on ASUS's part.
There is no reason for you to force this possibly defective feature on me and every reason to let me turn it off, even if we ignore the stutter issues (which we won't).

Hamstray
Rising Star I
This isn't me asking for some neat cool feature, this is me asking to be allowed to have my computer work as it should. You're basically telling me 'we at ASUS have no plans to let you fix your computer at this time'.
Your company is just terrible. It's unbelievable how little ASUS cares about their customers that they hear about such an issue and the response is 'eh, whatever'
And this is after years (according to other ASUS laptop users talking about the stutters) of entirely ignoring your customers when they complained about this issue instead of trying to figure out what might be the cause. Imagine how quickly AMD would have found out the source of the issue and started working on a solution if instead of ignoring your customers and telling them all it must be something they're doing (such as god forbid, installing games on their gaming laptops) you actually tried to give proper technical support.
Not that AMD is much better, since when I asked them about the fTPM issue before it blew up in computer news media they lied and claimed to have done tests that found nothing. But hey, I already decided to do my best not to buy any more AMD-based computers if I can, and ASUS's response to official acknowledgement of the fTPM issue existing has cemented my decision not to buy or recommend ASUS to anyone ever again. This whole ordeal has just completely sapped my previously very high regard for this company.
Congratulations.

Hamstray
Rising Star I
I'd really like to know ASUS's rationale for not allowing this laptop model to disable TPM. It's known to cause issues, and the idea is unreasonable enough that you didn't even realize at first that this model's BIOS doesn't allow it.
Why doesn't ASUS want me to be able to fix the stutters?

GEEK_ASUS
Rising Star II
Hi there,
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Meanwhile I will forward this issue and check with our engineer team regarding the AMD shutter issue.
If there is any update, I will let you know ASAP.
Thank you.

Hamstray
Rising Star I
Yeah sadly at this point I'm not expecting much.
I will be eager to hear why ASUS doesn't need to let me have a properly working computer but I can't demand a refund/proper compensation though, so do keep me posted.