Battery or AC: Both
Model: UX461UN
Frequency of occurrence: 100% of the time
Reset OS: Windows 11
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:

Hello,
I have had this UX461UN laptop for about 4 years now, and it has caused me nothing but pain. A whole slew of problems came up after a few months of getting it. I deeply regret purchasing this device. Back when this paperweight was still under warrantee, I did send it in for repair, but most of my issues were not even acknowledged as problems. I was able to address a fair amount of the problems myself, but one of the two major problems remaining is the issue of this laptop not being able to wake up. The other pain point is the palm rejection, but that's a story for another time.
If this laptop is asleep or the display is turned off, it will not wake up. It does not respond to any keyboard command (including ctrl alt del) or click. I have to hard restart it every time. I've tried this with and without connected devices, and with and without the power supply plugged in. Waiting for it to wake up also doesn't help either. Based on my research, this is a common issue for UX laptops.
I've searched and tried every proposed solution that I was able to find online and nothing really fixed the problem. For example, I've changed the sleep mode level, disabled fast startup, tried various versions of the intel UHD 620 driver (including 30.0.101.1191 that Asus does not directly provide access to), updated IMEI drivers, bios, etc. I also tried disabling sleep and/or hibernate but the issue will persist whenever the screen turns off. I made changes in device manager to never conserve power and allow devices to wake the computer when given the option. The power troubleshooter tool was also fruitless. I've already re-installed the OS multiple times and even upgraded to Windows 11. Nothing has fix this problem.
The only breakthrough discovery I was able to make was that disabling the Intel UHD620 driver will allow me to wake up my computer normally. However, doing so disables the HDMI port, which I absolutely do need. This laptop also has a MX150 card, so the main display will still run, but HDMI port isn't connected directly to it. I tried disabling the MX150 card and keeping the integrated graphics card driver enabled - the sleep problem will still persist. I now know for certain that the problem is related to the integrated graphic on this poor excuse for a computer.
The other workaround is to never allow my computer to turn off the screen and never sleep and never close the lid on this unreliable laptop. Although, that defeats the purpose of having a laptop in the first place.
Saying that I'm extremely frustrated would be an understatement. However, I do feel as if I am very close to the solution. Please advise. Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7

Falcon_ASUS
Kelv
  1. System: UX461UN Intel i7-8550U 16GB 512GB SSD
  2. Battery or AC: Both
  3. Model: UX461UN
  4. Frequency of occurrence: 100% of the time
  5. Reset OS: Windows 11
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:

Hello,

I have had this UX461UN laptop for about 4 years now, and it has caused me nothing but pain. A whole slew of problems came up after a few months of getting it. I deeply regret purchasing this device. Back when this paperweight was still under warrantee, I did send it in for repair, but most of my issues were not even acknowledged as problems. I was able to address a fair amount of the problems myself, but one of the two major problems remaining is the issue of this laptop not being able to wake up. The other pain point is the palm rejection, but that's a story for another time.

If this laptop is asleep or the display is turned off, it will not wake up. It does not respond to any keyboard command (including ctrl alt del) or click. I have to hard restart it every time. I've tried this with and without connected devices, and with and without the power supply plugged in. Waiting for it to wake up also doesn't help either. Based on my research, this is a common issue for UX laptops.

I've searched and tried every proposed solution that I was able to find online and nothing really fixed the problem. For example, I've changed the sleep mode level, disabled fast startup, tried various versions of the intel UHD 620 driver (including 30.0.101.1191 that Asus does not directly provide access to), updated IMEI drivers, bios, etc. I also tried disabling sleep and/or hibernate but the issue will persist whenever the screen turns off. I made changes in device manager to never conserve power and allow devices to wake the computer when given the option. The power troubleshooter tool was also fruitless. I've already re-installed the OS multiple times and even upgraded to Windows 11. Nothing has fix this problem.

The only breakthrough discovery I was able to make was that disabling the Intel UHD620 driver will allow me to wake up my computer normally. However, doing so disables the HDMI port, which I absolutely do need. This laptop also has a MX150 card, so the main display will still run, but HDMI port isn't connected directly to it. I tried disabling the MX150 card and keeping the integrated graphics card driver enabled - the sleep problem will still persist. I now know for certain that the problem is related to the integrated graphic on this poor excuse for a computer.

The other workaround is to never allow my computer to turn off the screen and never sleep and never close the lid on this unreliable laptop. Although, that defeats the purpose of having a laptop in the first place.

Saying that I'm extremely frustrated would be an understatement. However, I do feel as if I am very close to the solution. Please advise. Thank you.

UX461UN will not wake up when asleep
Hi Kelv 
Sorry to hear about the current state of your laptop. As your laptop may be out of warranty, If you need to send it in for repair, the repair center may charge you a fee. If you have also tried to restore the system before, but the situation still does not improve. Maybe for now, the best way to deal with it is as your description. Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Kelv
Star I
Yeah, I guess so. In that case, the repair fee is likely going to significantly exceed the worth of the laptop. Especially if it turns out to a fault with the hardware itself.
It is unfortunate, but all things considered, I think my best bet is just buying a new computer, and then discarding this thing therapeutically.

vkon_asus
Star I
I also have the same problem with my UX461UA laptop bought in 2018 for my daughter. I was not aware of this problem until she told me about it recently. Apparently, this has been a problem for the past 4 years.
In summary, the laptop does not wake up from the mouse, keyboard input, or lid after either the screen automatically turns off or the laptop goes to sleep. The only solution is to force a shutdown by continuously pressing the power button, and then restarting by pressing the power button again.
Note while in Windows Safe Mode and the screen automatically turns off, the mouse can turn the screen back on. Also, in all cases, the laptop can safely resume after a hibernate by pressing the power button.
I've also seen the discussions on Modern Standby (ie S0 low power idle) which is supported by this laptop. I have other laptops that support S3 "normal sleep" and have no issues with returning from screen shutoff nor waking from sleep. I believe there is a workaround by overriding Modern Standby and replacing it with S3 state using the registry.
My questions are:
1) does ASUS UX461UA have an inherent problem supporting Modern Standby with Windows? Will a BIOS upgrade address this? (I can try this if there is evidence, such as ASUS release notes, that states this problem is fixed in a recent BIOS release).
2) why can the screen turn back on while in Safe Mode? Does this suggest a Windows or App problem?

Falcon_ASUS
vkon_asus

I also have the same problem with my UX461UA laptop bought in 2018 for my daughter. I was not aware of this problem until she told me about it recently. Apparently, this has been a problem for the past 4 years.

In summary, the laptop does not wake up from the mouse, keyboard input, or lid after either the screen automatically turns off or the laptop goes to sleep. The only solution is to force a shutdown by continuously pressing the power button, and then restarting by pressing the power button again.

Note while in Windows Safe Mode and the screen automatically turns off, the mouse can turn the screen back on. Also, in all cases, the laptop can safely resume after a hibernate by pressing the power button.

I've also seen the discussions on Modern Standby (ie S0 low power idle) which is supported by this laptop. I have other laptops that support S3 "normal sleep" and have no issues with returning from screen shutoff nor waking from sleep. I believe there is a workaround by overriding Modern Standby and replacing it with S3 state using the registry.

My questions are:

1) does ASUS UX461UA have an inherent problem supporting Modern Standby with Windows? Will a BIOS upgrade address this? (I can try this if there is evidence, such as ASUS release notes, that states this problem is fixed in a recent BIOS release).

2) why can the screen turn back on while in Safe Mode? Does this suggest a Windows or App problem?

View post
@vkon_asus
If your BIOS is not up to date, please try to update first. (please make sure that Windows Update is also up to date, too.) If the operation is fine in safe mode, it means that some software in the system may be wrong and cause problems, we may recommend that you try to restore your system. Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 
[Windows 11/10] How to reset the PC and remove all of my personal files, apps and settings | Officia...