Battery or AC: Battery
Model: UX482EA
Frequency of occurrence:
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:

Hi there,
I've recently purchased the UX482 Zenbook Duo. I've connected two external hard drives on the Thunderbolt 4 ports (with USB-A to USB-C adaptors from Amazon Basics). The two HDDs working fine.

Then I shut down the computer eg. for a break. After booting up the PC only one of the two HDDs will be recognized. You need then to plug it out and again in so that it will work again. I also switched the drives but seems that this is no problem of the HDDs.

I have a Dell laptop (Windows 10) from my work with two Thunderbold ports and same software version and tried the same but everything works well.
I've did all updates also through the MyAsus app, checked the properties... everything is OK!

I am also working with those Amazon Basics USB-A to UBS-C adaptors with a mac book pro and never had any issues.

If I use two USB-Sticks instead of the two HDDs there is no issue.

Please help.
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Gio_Tee
Star II
@Falcon_ASUS

What do you mean with system version?
BIOS 311
WD My Passport mobile
When you use two passive devices like to WD external drives without their own power supply or eg. an old usb hub with an adapter on the thunderbolt ports the computer will recognize only one device after restart. If you use only one passive device this will bei recognized after restart.

If you use only one hdd on the one thuderbolt port you'll see the device in BIOS.
If you use the same hdd on the other thunderbolt port you'll see the device two times in BIOS.

Falcon_ASUS
Gio Tee

@Falcon_ASUS

1. What do you mean with system version?
  2. BIOS 311
  3. WD My Passport mobile

When you use two passive devices like to WD external drives without their own power supply or eg. an old usb hub with an adapter on the thunderbolt ports the computer will recognize only one device after restart. If you use only one passive device this will bei recognized after restart.

If you use only one hdd on the one thuderbolt port you'll see the device in BIOS.

If you use the same hdd on the other thunderbolt port you'll see the device two times in BIOS.

View post
@Gio Tee
1. Please refer to the following
Which version of Windows operating system am I running?Under Windows specifications, check which edition and version of Windows your device is running

2. About the WD My Passport mobile, what is the capacity?
Thank you.

Gio_Tee
Star II
@Falcon_ASUS
it's Windows 11 Version 21H2
The WD has 4 TB.
But I've tried another configuration:
Left TB: Logitec G203 Mouse
Right TB: Logitec G213 Keyboard
Everything you put into the right TB will not be recognized after booting up the PC.

Have a look at the following pics: No. 1 shows when you put the WD passport into the left TB
No2. shows if you put the WD on the right TB. It show like you put 2 HDDs in each TB but it's only one...
If you have the power supply on the one of the TB ports and another of the above mentioned devices on the other TB port everything looks fine in BIOS.
Looks that you can only use one bus powered item not not two together.
img-3861-jpg.jpg
img-3862-jpg.jpg

Falcon_ASUS
Gio Tee

@Falcon_ASUS

1. it's Windows 11 Version 21H2
  2. The WD has 4 TB.

But I've tried another configuration:

Left TB: Logitec G203 Mouse

Right TB: Logitec G213 Keyboard

Everything you put into the right TB will not be recognized after booting up the PC.

Have a look at the following pics: No. 1 shows when you put the WD passport into the left TB

No2. shows if you put the WD on the right TB. It show like you put 2 HDDs in each TB but it's only one...

If you have the power supply on the one of the TB ports and another of the above mentioned devices on the other TB port everything looks fine in BIOS.

Looks that you can only use one bus powered item not not two together.

img-3861-jpg.jpg

img-3862-jpg.jpg

View post
@Gio Tee
I have forwarded the information to the relevant department. We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.

Gio_Tee
Star II
@Falcon_ASUS

today I've received an Aukey USB-C-Hub. On this Hub I've connected the Logitech Keyboard and Mouse and an external LG Blu Ray Drive.
I've connected this HUB on the left TB port. On the right I've connected a Xiaomi Gaming Monitor with an Amazon basics USB-C to HDMI-Adapter.

Worked fine without having the laptop or USB-C on the power supply.
I've changed the TB Ports - and still everything works fine.

The only thing on both configurations is that I will receive a Windows message that a USB device I've connected recently is not working. In the device manager I see under USB-Controler:
unknow USB device (error while reseting the port - sorry if this is not the correct expression but I've translated this from German). Everything which is connected on the USB-Hub is working without any problem. I've tried to install a new driver for this device but there is no driver available. I've unistalled this device but after the next boot up this will be installed again.
Charging on both ports is working without any problem.