Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Red tint issue on my Rog 2

ag_954gupta
Star III
IA5YE60FWGSK.jpg
E9IGMQ0U9GR1.jpg
I recently received the Rog 2 Indian unit, and while tinkering with the brightness I found something weird, that is if I set the brightness from 0-50% the dark grey Colors (like the ones used in google apps for dark mode, and the dark grey color used in the notification bar of the Rog if the system theme is set to dark)
The dark grey Colors at lower brightness (i.e from 0-50%) seems to be reddish.
Below I have attached two pics, take of the Rog 2.

The app used was inshorts (in its dark mode) the one with dark grey color is the real color of the app seen above 50% brightness and the other reddish tint is seen from 0% brightness.
P.s it's not the wallpaper or any specific app it happens with any wallpaper, any app which uses the dark grey color(like google photos, Goole play store dark etc.)  and it can be seen at lower brightness. The thing was very hard to click on camera but I still clicked it.

It's something similar to the S8 red tint and the pixel blue tint.
Yes, in the Rog telegram group I did find another person who has the same issue and hence it seems like a fault from Asus.
Also I tried reaching Asus but as usual they aren't replying.
216 REPLIES 216

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
Shubhojit

@LP_ASUS Any update if this is a hardware problem or can be fixed through software update because if it's hardware then we need to replace the unit within a time frame as we ordered it from Flipkart

@Anders_ASUS Can you please help in this case

View post
@Shubhojit and @shubham.rajdhar , I haven't heard back on this case. I will update the report and add both of you to it.
One thing worth trying would be to make sure that you are using Zen UI and not the ROG UI. You can access this from the Themes menu in settings. (I don't have an ROG Phone II test unit on hand so I can't give you an exact pathway).
I'm curious whether the orange/reddish glow is the ROG UI peeking through a transparent UI element, and whether this effect would be present with Zen UI.
If you could both report back your findings and give me your firmware information that would be really helpful.

ct_rockstar
Star II
LP_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/20905#Comment_20905

@Shubhojit and @shubham.rajdhar , I haven't heard back on this case. I will update the report and add both of you to it.

One thing worth trying would be to make sure that you are using Zen UI and not the ROG UI. You can access this from the Themes menu in settings. (I don't have an ROG Phone II test unit on hand so I can't give you an exact pathway).

I'm curious whether the orange/reddish glow is the ROG UI peeking through a transparent UI element, and whether this effect would be present with Zen UI.

If you could both report back your findings and give me your firmware information that would be really helpful.

View post
I can confirm this is not due to the theme. Problem persists in Classic theme/zen ui as well.
This image can be used to clearly see the issue. Lower the brightness below 50%. The red tint is clearly visible.
Y0Z991JF8L3G.png

ag_954gupta
Star III
LP_ASUS

View post
Well no, it's isn't due to Rog ui or zen ui, today asus india called me and they did a check on the Rog 2 unit which they had... Even they had the same problem.
It's just a dark grey issue which everyone's unit has it i guess.

ct_rockstar
Star II
LP_ASUS

View post
Its not due to theme. This image can be used for the test.
W3GARJXOYXF5.png

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
I got a test unit and was able to recreate this. Personally, I feel it is most noticeable at 10% brightness with a white background. When I tried the grayscale picture I almost didn't see anything.
My question would be, does this impact your user experience? Are you watching movies at this brightness? Are you regularly reading text on this device sub 35% brightness? Is this a visual effect you can't see past? (pun intended)
You can contact your repair center and have them evaluate your screen if you would like. But my recommendation if the red tinting is a deal-breaker for you and ruins your overall user experience with the device would be to return it.