Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Armoury Crate GPU Fan Curve Doesn't Work

bzhang
Star I
System: Laptop
Battery or AC: AC
Model: ROS Zephyrus S17 GX703HS (2021)
Frequency of occurrence: When using a custom fan curve without meeting certain conditions
Reset OS: No
System: Laptop
Battery or AC: AC
Model: ROS Zephyrus S17 GX703HS (2021)
Frequency of occurrence: When using a custom fan curve without meeting certain conditions
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video:
screenshot-2819-29.png

========================

Detailed description
When using a custom fan curve in Armoury Crate, the software only applies the fan speed set by the leftmost point of the curve
and does not respond to the setting of other points, regardless of the GPU temperature.
This is extremely problematic, as it makes a custom curve require insufficient cooling, or runnning at full fan speed at all times.
4 REPLIES 4

GEEK_ASUS
Rising Star II
Hi there,
May I know your Armour Crate version? Please update the the latest version.
Do you mean you only can adjust the leftmost point of the curve and could not adjust other points?
Also please help check the 3 default options work or not?
If possible, please have a video then we can easier understand your issue.
Thank you.

bzhang
Star I
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Armoury Crate Version 5.0.11.0, no updates seem available
All the points can dragged around and have their positions saved, but it doesn't seem like any of them consistently affect the fan speed, other than the leftmost point, which will always cause a change when adjusted, though not necessarily proportional to the point position.
After some more messing around with the fan curves, this time starting with one of the default curves and adjusting it, I was able to get better behavior, but still not consistent. Note the reported fan speed on the right versus the designed curve on the left.
screenshot-2821-29.png
Here's an example of a fan curve completely not working as expected, the fan speed should be 100% at 62 C, but instead it takes the value of the leftmost point (0%).
screenshot-2822-29.png
Here's another example. The fan speed should still be 100%, but it's not. It's also not 50%, suggesting some kind of calculation error when interpolating the points on the curve.
screenshot-2823-29.png
Strangely, this fan curve seems to produce more normal results, though I haven't the time to test under full load and see if the settings continue to work.
It beginning to seem more like the underlying issue is that the curve interpretation for fan control can't handle steep changes in speed with relation to heat, and the math biases the fan speed low.

GEEK_ASUS
Rising Star II
Hi there,
When set up the fan speed, the fan speed of each point must be greater than the previous point.
But I will also forward your opinion to the related department for the future improvement.
Thank you.

bzhang
Star I
screenshot-2825-29.png
Well, eliminating all points with identical fan speeds doesn't solve the issue either, here the correct fan speed would be about 35%, but instead, it's set to 0, even in-game when the GPU usage is very high.