This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party charger problem

MartinRDE
Star I
Hey forum, just had a search for my issue and already found this discussion, which is closed:
cytrus224

Hey, i have some problems charging zenfone8 with Baseus GAN2 PRO 65w charger. If i connect the phone to the first type-c it will charge 1%, maybe 2% and it won't keep charging, however i see double thunderbolt icon next to the battery and its says its fastcharging on the lockscreen.

If i connect it to second type-c, it charges normally, but i think only 18W.

I'm using type-c cable capable of 100w charging via usb-PD

Charging problem with 3rd party charger
So I want to chime in as another not so happy person. I was testing my new Zenfone 8 on my Anker Powerport Atom III Slim 63w USB C port and it started charging, first showing normal charge, then 1 second quick charge, then not charging, repeat forever. Yes, there are a million charging standards, but this is clearly erroneous behavior which cannot be good for the battery, I was lucky to catch it before going to sleep.
USB A-to-C ports luckily work, though slowly.
Also yes, the charger works with literally any other device and I am aware the Zenfone's manual says to only use the first party charger. Everyone, including Asus, must be aware that this would be an insane limitation. You expect me to carry my 1st party charger everywhere just in case I need a charge and they only have incompatible chargers? Come on.
5 REPLIES 5

landsome
Rising Star II
That's weird. It charges perfectly fine (fast) with my Anker PowerPort PD II and my Anker PowerPort+ 5.

landsome
Rising Star II
PS With third-party cables as well...

topolov
Rising Star II
MartinRDE

Hey forum, just had a search for my issue and already found this discussion, which is closed:

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/51232/charging-problem-with-3rd-party-charger

So I want to chime in as another not so happy person. I was testing my new Zenfone 8 on my Anker Powerport Atom III Slim 63w USB C port and it started charging, first showing normal charge, then 1 second quick charge, then not charging, repeat forever. Yes, there are a million charging standards, but this is clearly erroneous behavior which cannot be good for the battery, I was lucky to catch it before going to sleep.

USB A-to-C ports luckily work, though slowly.

Also yes, the charger works with literally any other device and I am aware the Zenfone's manual says to only use the first party charger. Everyone, including Asus, must be aware that this would be an insane limitation. You expect me to carry my 1st party charger everywhere just in case I need a charge and they only have incompatible chargers? Come on.

3rd party charger problem
Chek my thread, I've tested a lot of cables and chargers, not all cables are good for Zenfone
https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/57846/one-more-hardware-issue#latest

landsome
Rising Star II
topolov

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/58233/3rd-party-charger-problem

Chek my thread, I've tested a lot of cables and chargers, not all cables are good for Zenfone

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/57846/one-more-hardware-issue#latest

View post
Thanks, very interesting read. In my case, I have a cables problem with my car: Android Auto keeps connecting and disconnecting several times a second when I connect it; and with 'usual' cables it takes a few trials to get it to work stably (i.e., it won't disconnect anymore). I have only found only 2 cables (the cheapest, generic usb-c cables I have, one from a Cubot phone), out of over 10, with which this never happens.
With charging, on the other hand, I have no issues. The phone fast-charges with all the dozen or so cables I have (they include 2x Google PD, as well as cables from phones by Oneplus, Huawei, Sony, Xiaomi and a few others). I usually charge my phone with an older Aukey QC3 charger, Anker PD II, Sony QC3 or and Anker Powerport 5 (depending on room). (In fact, I used the bundled Asus charger and cable exactly once...)