This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to force "true" 60hz refresh rate?

usernameRika
Star III
Hello there guys,
I just bought this device, Rog Phone 3 (128/512) yesterday and i've been setting it up and testing my games (arcade emulation is my zen).
Unfortunatelly, and to my total shock, i discovered that this device doesn't actually have 60hz (when set to 60 hz obviously), but 59.3 hz.
This completely destroys the smoothness of the games i care about, there's always stuttering caused by the lack of sync between the 59.3 hz and 60 hz that the games need (my previous phone has 60.02 hz, so perfectly smooth).
Trying to sync content of 60 hz to the other options (90, 120, 144) is even worse in terms of frame pacing.

Is there a way to upate/fix this 59.3 hz issue and get actual 60 hz from this screen?
This is a deal breaker for me for an otherwise good phone.

Phone not rooted
Android 11

Thanks so much!

25 REPLIES 25

mrxsin
Star III
FPS is not the correct tool to represent smoothness. Its the frametime. If you been in pc gaming long enough, barely reaching 60 fps is much worse compared to lock it at 30 fps and there a lot of things can constribute to unstable frametime.

CHOOZR
Zen Master I
Can you drive a car consistently and flatline at 60mph for 1 hour? you cannot drop more or less than 60.

usernameRika
Star III
mrxsin

FPS is not the correct tool to represent smoothness. Its the frametime. If you been in pc gaming long enough, barely reaching 60 fps is much worse compared to lock it at 30 fps and there a lot of things can constribute to unstable frametime.

View post
Correct on all points.

usernameRika
Star III
@Danishblunt

You seems to be unable to grasp a simple concept: A recording of 60 fps made of a content of 59.3, will result in? ...no, not perfect smoothness, but yes, small micro stutters/framerate incosistencies!
However, i did make 2 small off-screen 60 fps vids (so there would be no screen recording problem of any kind) that perfectly show my issue with how the phone handles the smoothness, between the real Hz of the display and what Genie thinks it is.

Video No. 1
Seems i can't post links so search youtube for: Rog 3 sync test 1
(from user: usernameRika)
is with game added to Game Genie, all 60 hz settings, and in this mode it should perfectly sync to the "great" 60.000 hz screen. But of course it doesn't, as the screen, surprise, is not 60, and the Armory Genie actually thinks it is, and this is what it seems to comunicate to the game. The Genie is confused.

Video No. 2
Search youtube for: Rog 3 sync test 2

game removed from Game Genie, no other changes whatsoever.
The game syncs perfectly to the display's real hz, resulting in perfect smoothness (which, of course can not be observed here, as you can still see some small stutters because of reasons i already explained more times than i should have, but in real-life there is ZERO stuttering)

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
usernameRika

@Danishblunt

You seems to be unable to grasp a simple concept: A recording of 60 fps made of a content of 59.3, will result in? ...no, not perfect smoothness, but yes, small micro stutters/framerate incosistencies!

However, i did make 2 small off-screen 60 fps vids (so there would be no screen recording problem of any kind) that perfectly show my issue with how the phone handles the smoothness, between the real Hz of the display and what Genie thinks it is.

Video No. 1

Seems i can't post links so search youtube for: Rog 3 sync test 1

(from user: usernameRika)

is with game added to Game Genie, all 60 hz settings, and in this mode it should perfectly sync to the "great" 60.000 hz screen. But of course it doesn't, as the screen, surprise, is not 60, and the Armory Genie actually thinks it is, and this is what it seems to comunicate to the game. The Genie is confused.

Video No. 2

Search youtube for: Rog 3 sync test 2

game removed from Game Genie, no other changes whatsoever.

The game syncs perfectly to the display's real hz, resulting in perfect smoothness (which, of course can not be observed here, as you can still see some small stutters because of reasons i already explained more times than i should have, but in real-life there is ZERO stuttering)

View post
It stutters in both examples. All you demonstrate right now is absolute lack of understanding how emulators, android phones and cameras work. After your messed up logic youtube should be lagging for everyone because it runs videos at 30fps.
You make 0 sense.