This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to force "true" 60hz refresh rate?

usernameRika
Star III
Hello there guys,
I just bought this device, Rog Phone 3 (128/512) yesterday and i've been setting it up and testing my games (arcade emulation is my zen).
Unfortunatelly, and to my total shock, i discovered that this device doesn't actually have 60hz (when set to 60 hz obviously), but 59.3 hz.
This completely destroys the smoothness of the games i care about, there's always stuttering caused by the lack of sync between the 59.3 hz and 60 hz that the games need (my previous phone has 60.02 hz, so perfectly smooth).
Trying to sync content of 60 hz to the other options (90, 120, 144) is even worse in terms of frame pacing.

Is there a way to upate/fix this 59.3 hz issue and get actual 60 hz from this screen?
This is a deal breaker for me for an otherwise good phone.

Phone not rooted
Android 11

Thanks so much!

25 REPLIES 25

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
@usernameRika
Since youre goating me ill just do this:
https://youtu.be/vrij5vdXdmY
"59.2 display"

usernameRika
Star III
Wow, what you linked is completely irrelevant for this topic.
It looks like a nice, fast game (never played it though), it's nice gameplay, congrats, it runs excellent (why wouldn't it?), but it shows nothing regarding micro stuttering related to sub 60 hz screen.

Anyway, assuming i can do nothing about the display via a driver, i keep testing and I'm slowly getting to the root of this issue i think, isolating different variables that influence the Sync. Game Genie is a factor. X mode as well.
There's two ways the game Syncs to refresh, one with Game Genie active, one without.
It shouldn't be like that though. It's peculiar, but it's what it is.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
@usernameRika
It does exacly disprove your entire theory, as you said, 0 lags, responsive despite your false claim, no microstuttering to be seen whatsoever.

Some CODM 60FPS gameplay in battle royal as well without any microlags and stuttering. And if you're now going to the dumbass route of somehow it's because the "display is lagging" then I suggest you record your gameplay and watch the stuttering on your gameplay as well. After that you might want to rethink your dumb theory.
As mentioned according to the inaccurate site my refreshrate at 60hz is: "59.2hz".

usernameRika
Star III
Look man, i appreciate you actually wanna help, but what you are trying to show here, that hectic movement is, again, far from a competent "micro" stutter test.
Even so, watching your vids closer, they are full of tiny framedrops, small as they are, they are noticeable, but those may very well be small performance drops or youtube drops, not even related to what i'm saying.

One thing does help me though, and that is - that you have the same refresh rate in 60 hz as me; 59.2, lower than it should. So that's sort of confirmation that it can not be fixed via updates.

I did have a breakthrough: running the respective 60 fps game WiTHOUT adding it to the Armory Crate, hence no Game Genie menu, doesn't mess up the Sync. The actual 60 fps game will be kept in Sync with the display native refresh and run at 59.3, keeping the smoothness, and with no noticeable audio delays or issues.
I'm talking here 2D games with a lot of parallax scrolling, where even the tiniest stutters will be noticeable if one is sensitive to this.
There's also another possibility i'm testing now, keeping the Armory Core involved, for max. performance needed in more demanding emulation.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
I can't help but feel that u're either trolling or actually just dense as hell.
You make 0 sense, you clearly don't understand what u're talking about. Also the videos aren't "full of tiny framedrops". Aside from 1 situation in the CODM recording where the encoder was lagging the clips were pretty much fluid.
You do not even seem to understand how the browser generates the "refreshrate", if you did you wouldnt take it as a measuring tool to begin with.
Wheter its 2d or 3d is irrelevant. The issue is still the same, inconsistent frametimes. It still has 0 to do with your imaginary sync issue. The fact you still are on about the nonsense about the displays refreshrate makes me question your intelligence.
The recording show that the rog3 is more than capable of running games fluid without stuttering unless the game has something that would cause microstutter such as engine limitations (CODM deathmath when a model is spawning in front of your face, 30FPS animations running on higher FPS etc.)
Upload a small clip of your stuttering here and I will then explain to you exacly what is happening on your recording so you can stop spreading nonsense about a non existant sub 60hz panel.