This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to force "true" 60hz refresh rate?

usernameRika
Star III
Hello there guys,
I just bought this device, Rog Phone 3 (128/512) yesterday and i've been setting it up and testing my games (arcade emulation is my zen).
Unfortunatelly, and to my total shock, i discovered that this device doesn't actually have 60hz (when set to 60 hz obviously), but 59.3 hz.
This completely destroys the smoothness of the games i care about, there's always stuttering caused by the lack of sync between the 59.3 hz and 60 hz that the games need (my previous phone has 60.02 hz, so perfectly smooth).
Trying to sync content of 60 hz to the other options (90, 120, 144) is even worse in terms of frame pacing.

Is there a way to upate/fix this 59.3 hz issue and get actual 60 hz from this screen?
This is a deal breaker for me for an otherwise good phone.

Phone not rooted
Android 11

Thanks so much!

25 REPLIES 25

usernameRika
Star III
Nah, the "exact" same games, with the "exact" same settings work absolutely flawlessly in my other phone (the brand is not important as i don't want to be accused of anything here).
With the correct settings and on well calibrated displays, there are ZERO framepacing issues, even in android environment.
I've been playing these games on mobiles for some 8 years "daily" and i have an pretty good grasp on how things work.

usernameRika
Star III
BPM

Thanks for that. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but this is the average results I've gotten from trying it:

60 Hz = ~59.7 Hz

90 Hz = ~89.8 Hz

120 Hz = ~119.3 Hz

144 Hz = ~144.1 Hz

Tests were run using the Brave browser. It's interesting that, based on this tool, every setting was below the intended refresh rate, except for 144 Hz which averaged above the intended refresh.

@Danishblunt Tagging you into this, since you have a pretty good grasp on technical stuff. Is this tester accurate? Is this just the nature of OLED screens, or does it have something to do with how the screen is calibrated? Does it occur on your custom kernel?

View post
Hey, could you maybe tell me what system updates you are on atm? Maybe a print screen of the Software Info?
I mean, even with 59.7 things probably wouldn't improve, but there do seem to be differences in refresh rates and maybe it's related to some fixes that were implemented along the way.

BPM
Rising Star II
I'm on .192, which should be the most recent update (included the January 2022 security patch).
screenshot-20220204-124022069-281-29.png

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
usernameRika

Nah, the "exact" same games, with the "exact" same settings work absolutely flawlessly in my other phone (the brand is not important as i don't want to be accused of anything here).

With the correct settings and on well calibrated displays, there are ZERO framepacing issues, even in android environment.

I've been playing these games on mobiles for some 8 years "daily" and i have an pretty good grasp on how things work.

View post
Hate to break it to you but you are clueless if you think refreshrate is somehow the reason for your inconsistent frametimes.

usernameRika
Star III
You seem kinda smart, so i'm anxiously waiting for you to explain how to run in a "perfectly smooth" manner, 60.00 fps content on a 59.30 display.
Feel free to use jargon if you need to.