This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to force "true" 60hz refresh rate?

usernameRika
Star III
Hello there guys,
I just bought this device, Rog Phone 3 (128/512) yesterday and i've been setting it up and testing my games (arcade emulation is my zen).
Unfortunatelly, and to my total shock, i discovered that this device doesn't actually have 60hz (when set to 60 hz obviously), but 59.3 hz.
This completely destroys the smoothness of the games i care about, there's always stuttering caused by the lack of sync between the 59.3 hz and 60 hz that the games need (my previous phone has 60.02 hz, so perfectly smooth).
Trying to sync content of 60 hz to the other options (90, 120, 144) is even worse in terms of frame pacing.

Is there a way to upate/fix this 59.3 hz issue and get actual 60 hz from this screen?
This is a deal breaker for me for an otherwise good phone.

Phone not rooted
Android 11

Thanks so much!

25 REPLIES 25

BPM
Rising Star II
Just curious, but what did you do to test the refresh rate? It always looked smooth to me (60 Hz or higher), but maybe I just never noticed it was off.

usernameRika
Star III
Go to "displayhz.com"

It'll show your approximate refresh rate you have set at that moment.
Talking these days with other Rog 3 owners, it seems that it's not set in stone in all devices. Some reported ~ 59.6, some slightly different values.
You have to be very sensitive to these kind of micro stutters to notice i guess.
I'm still testing in hopes of finding at least a way to mitigate this as much as possible. I had some success, and i have a few more ideas and setting combinations to try.

However, if anyone knows of a more straightforward fix for the actual display hz, it'd be perfect.

BPM
Rising Star II
Thanks for that. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but this is the average results I've gotten from trying it:
60 Hz = ~59.7 Hz
90 Hz = ~89.8 Hz
120 Hz = ~119.3 Hz
144 Hz = ~144.1 Hz
Tests were run using the Brave browser. It's interesting that, based on this tool, every setting was below the intended refresh rate, except for 144 Hz which averaged above the intended refresh.
@Danishblunt Tagging you into this, since you have a pretty good grasp on technical stuff. Is this tester accurate? Is this just the nature of OLED screens, or does it have something to do with how the screen is calibrated? Does it occur on your custom kernel?

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
BPM

Thanks for that. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but this is the average results I've gotten from trying it:

60 Hz = ~59.7 Hz

90 Hz = ~89.8 Hz

120 Hz = ~119.3 Hz

144 Hz = ~144.1 Hz

Tests were run using the Brave browser. It's interesting that, based on this tool, every setting was below the intended refresh rate, except for 144 Hz which averaged above the intended refresh.

@Danishblunt Tagging you into this, since you have a pretty good grasp on technical stuff. Is this tester accurate? Is this just the nature of OLED screens, or does it have something to do with how the screen is calibrated? Does it occur on your custom kernel?

View post
The test is flawed as it uses to browser to dertemine the hz. It's meant as a rough estimate not as an accurate tool. The stutter and lag are not caused by the display but because of how the games have bad frametimes on smartphones in general.