This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Phone 5s Pro Slow Connection and No VOLTE

junwei2647
Star I
Based in Singapore, we are not able to make phone calls if we set to LTE only via *#*#4636#*#*. How do we activate voLTE on our phone? Brought from Asus @ Bugis. But when using 2G / 3G / 4G as network preferred type no issue with phone calls. But mobile data connectivity is not stable at 4G / 4G+ keep getting H / H+. Help please, 1 Week old only the phone. No root.
12 REPLIES 12

ghostie192
Star II
junwei2647

Based in Singapore, we are not able to make phone calls if we set to LTE only via *#*#4636#*#*. How do we activate voLTE on our phone? Brought from Asus @ Bugis. But when using 2G / 3G / 4G as network preferred type no issue with phone calls. But mobile data connectivity is not stable at 4G / 4G+ keep getting H / H+. Help please, 1 Week old only the phone. No root.

Rog Phone 5s Pro Slow Connection and No VOLTE
I'm also facing the same issue and I have found out whats wrong. It all boils down to not having VOLTE enabled for our phone.
ROG phone 5 supports up to 4 bands: see image below, which you can find in the settings:
4-bands.jpg
The problem begins when:
You made or received a phone call. This forces the band to drop from 4g+/4g to H+ (3g) because we do not have VOLTE settings enabled. Thus, 4g cannot be used.
When you move to an area where 4g is not strong enough and it drops to 3g. It refuses to yield to 4g band for some dumb reason and get itself stuck there. You have to either turn on and off air plane mode or restart.
You force the band to 4g and 5g only using the code #*#4636#*# so that you can get 4G+ (LTE) 99% of the time. BUT you lose the ability to call out because there is no VOLTE functionality so you cant make calls on 4G network.
First Solution:
Root, then follow the instructions at XDA forums to configure the settings, find and load the config files yourself. However, as far as i know, rooting voids the warranty and also prevents any future OTA updates for your phone.
You decide if its worth the trouble or warranty or not.
Second solution:
Get 2 working sim cards (first solution). It sounds dumb, but this is one of the solution going forward until Asus allowed VOLTE on our phones easily.
Set the band on your most data heavy plan to 4/5G and set data to be from this sim card only. This will make you lose the receive and make calls function on that line. If you are using that purely for data only, its no big deal. Then leave your main calling number as it is.
If you are using both lines, set up dual sim card forwarding.
OR
My current settings for now is to just leave the settings as it is. It sounds dumb/counter intuitive to the above solution. However, my current set up has 2 sim cards, no change in bands for either, lock data to the main card that i use and so far, HAS 99% OF 4G connectivity.
It might be dumb luck, but im still monitoring it.
Hope it helps!

FunBike31
Community Legend I
ghostie192

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/56978/rog-phone-5s-pro-slow-connection-and-no-volte

I'm also facing the same issue and I have found out whats wrong. It all boils down to not having VOLTE enabled for our phone.

ROG phone 5 supports up to 4 bands: see image below, which you can find in the settings:

4-bands.jpg

The problem begins when:

1. You made or received a phone call. This forces the band to drop from 4g+/4g to H+ (3g) because we do not have VOLTE settings enabled. Thus, 4g cannot be used.
  2. When you move to an area where 4g is not strong enough and it drops to 3g. It refuses to yield to 4g band for some dumb reason and get itself stuck there. You have to either turn on and off air plane mode or restart.
  3. You force the band to 4g and 5g only using the code #*#4636#*# so that you can get 4G+ (LTE) 99% of the time. BUT you lose the ability to call out because there is no VOLTE functionality so you cant make calls on 4G network.

First Solution:

1. Root, then follow the instructions at XDA forums to configure the settings, find and load the config files yourself. However, as far as i know, rooting voids the warranty and also prevents any future OTA updates for your phone.

You decide if its worth the trouble or warranty or not.

Second solution:

1. Get 2 working sim cards (first solution). It sounds dumb, but this is one of the solution going forward until Asus allowed VOLTE on our phones easily.
  2. Set the band on your most data heavy plan to 4/5G and set data to be from this sim card only. This will make you lose the receive and make calls function on that line. If you are using that purely for data only, its no big deal. Then leave your main calling number as it is.
  3. If you are using both lines, set up dual sim card forwarding.

OR

My current settings for now is to just leave the settings as it is. It sounds dumb/counter intuitive to the above solution. However, my current set up has 2 sim cards, no change in bands for either, lock data to the main card that i use and so far, HAS 99% OF 4G connectivity.

It might be dumb luck, but im still monitoring it.

Hope it helps!

View post
You have summarized it well, the worst for me being point 2, because when we lose a little 4G signal (Moto, Samsung, Wiko, Blackview) they remain in 4G), we lose the Data and those do not come back automatically when we return to the strong 4G zone, activating/deactivating airplane mode is an obligation.
I reported this in August 2021, we are in January 2022 and I can't even count the number of Firmware that have not solved an essential function of a phone

k_huat
Rising Star II
Well, this is Asus, what can we expect? I fed up writing the issue I face n just use this rog as it is (maybe this is what Asus aiming to lessen their workload; well, Asus u achieve your goal but u also won't have a repeating customer for sure) 👎

ghostie192
Star II
FunBike31

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/202677#Comment_202677

You have summarized it well, the worst for me being point 2, because when we lose a little 4G signal (Moto, Samsung, Wiko, Blackview) they remain in 4G), we lose the Data and those do not come back automatically when we return to the strong 4G zone, activating/deactivating airplane mode is an obligation.

I reported this in August 2021, we are in January 2022 and I can't even count the number of Firmware that have not solved an essential function of a phone

View post
I just got the 5S PRO very recently, less than a week to be exact.
I was prepared for this situation to arise as ROG3 also suffers similarly; in a complete opposite way (Band stuck at 4G, refuses to drop to 3G for calls). The current drop in band and refusing to yield gave me a complete surprise though.
Currently, the 2 sim cards with no change in band solution has been working great as the phone is yielding to the higher speed band (4G) after the call has ended all the time.
But the other issue persist when you are not on VOLTE. You cannot use internet on the sim card which is on call.
This can be easily negated by switching the data sim before or during calls.
This set up works well although there is a small cost involve due to getting 2 sim cards. You need to balance this act on your own.
However, this solution would not be viable if your service provider is going phase out 3G and below bandwidths and going to 4G only as you cannot make calls on 4G network. ASUS needs to get this together before that happens.

zerojin14

Singapore, Switzerland, India etc.

Hopefully android 12 fixes the problem or we have to get a new phone

View post
Android 12 will not fix this issue. This is because the phone does not with the MBNs required for the operator.
This has to be done by ASUS.
@Gustav_ASUS As VOLTE has been a concern and owners are trying every way available to get VOLTE on their phone including rooting the phone which voids the warranty.
Is it possible to have ASUS load the default MBNs regardless of the conversation/confirmation from each countries' operators?
As the phone allows the option to activate it, if it doesnt work, deactivation shouldnt be a problem?
Of course as usual, put a disclaimer if ASUS must, but that would at least buy some goodwill from ASUS ROG Phone 5 users rather than keeping quiet about this affair.

MrMoto
Star I
Sorry you guys are having big problems!
I have the 5s North American variant here in Hollywood 🎥 Phone is on AT&T, and it's on their VoLTE whitelist. I started with a fresh AT&T SIM.
VoLTE works. Data switches between 4G, 4G+, and 5G depending on location. Settings look like this:
screenshot-20220127-010459119-281-29.jpg