This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original ROG phone update.

ZT-a9606218
Rising Star I
When is Asus going to provide Android 11 update to this poor phone that I bought 3 years ago? And enable 4g VoLTE as well being in January 2022 3g will be discontinued starting with AT&T hence according to AT&T as well T-Mobile state that the original ROG phone will not work on their systems in 2022. Any relief for those of us who bought this phone?!? It seems Asus cares more about the ROG 3 and up then they do a 3 year old phone? Heck Samsung and OnePlus are still updating phones they sold 3 years ago. My OnePlus 6 is running Android 11 and will still work on AT&T and T-Mobile after the 3g shut down vs my ROG phone. Can't even sell it on eBay because of this issue.

31 REPLIES 31

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ZT-a9606218

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201418#Comment_201418

Makes perfect sense, and yes I do know something about Android development. Even if any developer Asus or not were to develop a custom ROM from the source code would be useless unless the firmware was also updated to enable VoLTE on it. In the U.S. all phones must have VoLTE enabled to work on AT&T or T-Mobile. The OG ROG phone doesn't have VoLTE enabled for the U.S. market hence the reason of my posting and not to mention Asus abandoning the phone which is what I have been alluding to. Make sense now?

Please research before saying something makes 0 sense. Thanks.

View post
You still don't know what you're talking about.
All it takes to add VoLTE is modifying your EFS partition and you need an Android ROM that supports VoLTE, then you're done, but your research skills aren't quite up to par as it seems.
Also ASUS abandoning the phone is the only logical conclusion since even the community doesn't give a damn about the phone anyways.

I suggest asking people who know what they're talking about if your post makes sense before posting here, thanks.

ZT-a9606218
Rising Star I
At Danishblunt: There is a hack over at XDA for a T-Mobile system VoLTE enable, but that is complicated at best. And there are no Custom ROMs on the net for ROG phones that enable VoLTE. Sorry.
Lastly, those that do not care about the OG ROG probably didn't spend over $900 on it most likely. Hmmm.
Tried to quote your thread, but forum will not post my reply with it. Must be too long?!? And this forum would not allow me to post a URL. Sucks.

hermantan89
Rising Star I
Dude, let's just say you're unlucky buying a stupid phone from asus. Curse them, and pray for their company to go bankrupt. It will make you happy. Many people are in the same situation as you, for example on the Lumia phone that Microsoft left behind.
The phone (640, 650,950 series) also ended up being brick, because it was not supported by applications and OS updates.

ZT-a9606218
Rising Star I
hermantan89

Dude, let's just say you're unlucky buying a stupid phone from asus. Curse them, and pray for their company to go bankrupt. It will make you happy. Many people are in the same situation as you, for example on the Lumia phone that Microsoft left behind.

The phone (640, 650,950 series) also ended up being brick, because it was not supported by applications and OS updates.

View post
What would make me and others happy would be for Asus to do the honorable thing and at least do one more update to bring the OG ROG up to Android 11 at least, and enable VoLTE. Not much to ask.
Sorry that this old disabled veteran of 20 years in service will not go silently into the night. 😉
And yes I did own a MS phone at one time hence a great device in its day. Sad to see that platform collapse. 😞

ZT-a9606218
Rising Star I
hermantan89

View post
Yes, I do remember the old days of MS phones. Had one for awhile when I was still in the military it was a handy device. Sad to see that platform collapse. 😞
All I am asking Asus to do is the honorable thing by updating this phone one last time, if considered, to at least Android 11 and enable VoLTE. Not much to ask here. Really, is it?
Lastly, this retired veteran of 20 years will not go silently into the night. 😉