This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original ROG phone update.

ZT-a9606218
Rising Star I
When is Asus going to provide Android 11 update to this poor phone that I bought 3 years ago? And enable 4g VoLTE as well being in January 2022 3g will be discontinued starting with AT&T hence according to AT&T as well T-Mobile state that the original ROG phone will not work on their systems in 2022. Any relief for those of us who bought this phone?!? It seems Asus cares more about the ROG 3 and up then they do a 3 year old phone? Heck Samsung and OnePlus are still updating phones they sold 3 years ago. My OnePlus 6 is running Android 11 and will still work on AT&T and T-Mobile after the 3g shut down vs my ROG phone. Can't even sell it on eBay because of this issue.

31 REPLIES 31

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ZT-a9606218

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201244#Comment_201244

It is great that the source code is available, but it doesn't relieve Asus from it's responsibility to support the ROG phone tho IMO. Plus, the source code doesn't have what is needed to turn on VoLTE or VoWIFI which is required in the U.S. for the ROG phone to worked under the new system requirements in 2022 on AT&T and T-Mobile. Only Asus can turn on the ability to use said features on the ROG phone. Otherwise this phone is a "brick" in 2022.

View post
That's simply wrong. Since we have the sourcecode for the kernel there is no reason for developers to not be able to port another android on it. Heck if you had a developer that was interested in a project like that you could have android 12 on the OG rog.

ZT-a9606218
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201330#Comment_201330

That's simply wrong. Since we have the sourcecode for the kernel there is no reason for developers to not be able to port another android on it. Heck if you had a developer that was interested in a project like that you could have android 12 on the OG rog.

View post
Yes, a custom ROM could be done that much is evident. But, Asus must update the phone's firmware to support VoLTE and/or VoWIFI in the U.S. something one can not do with the source code apparently from a simple search there are some hacks to do this trick but it is only temporary in nature and flimsy at best.
Being that some folks posted on how this hack can be done shows me Asus can save face and update the phone to work in the U.S. under the system guidelines with or without Android 12 in tow. Asus must have a large pool of employees now developing updates for the other ROG phones could develop an update for the original ROG. Question is doing it?
Heck, Samsung is on a mission updating their older phones to work on the new standards for AT&T and T-Mobile customers. Hmmm.

ZT-a9606218
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201330#Comment_201330

View post
Yeah, a custom Android 10, 11, 12 ROM on a bricked phone sounds interesting. If only the firmware was updated as well to enable VoLTE and/or VoWIFI would make the ROG work in the U.S. Hmmm.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ZT-a9606218

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201343#Comment_201343

Yeah, a custom Android 10, 11, 12 ROM on a bricked phone sounds interesting. If only the firmware was updated as well to enable VoLTE and/or VoWIFI would make the ROG work in the U.S. Hmmm.

View post
What you wrote made 0 sense, it's clear you don't really know much about android development. That being said, seeing that there is literally no interest from the community to enable VoLTE and upgrade Android it's safe to say ASUS is right to not update anything, as far as the community goes, the device is uninteresting and dead. No point in ASUS spending time and ressources to please a handful of people.

ZT-a9606218
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201411#Comment_201411

What you wrote made 0 sense, it's clear you don't really know much about android development. That being said, seeing that there is literally no interest from the community to enable VoLTE and upgrade Android it's safe to say ASUS is right to not update anything, as far as the community goes, the device is uninteresting and dead. No point in ASUS spending time and ressources to please a handful of people.

View post
Makes perfect sense, and yes I do know something about Android development. Even if any developer Asus or not were to develop a custom ROM from the source code would be useless unless the firmware was also updated to enable VoLTE on it. In the U.S. all phones must have VoLTE enabled to work on AT&T or T-Mobile. The OG ROG phone doesn't have VoLTE enabled for the U.S. market hence the reason of my posting and not to mention Asus abandoning the phone which is what I have been alluding to. Make sense now?
Please research before saying something makes 0 sense. Thanks.