This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major problems with Android Auto

TheArcane
Star II
I have a 2021 Peugeot 3008 and I have major problems using Android Auto with the Zenfone 8.
The car has a type-A USB port, so I can't use the original cable provided with the phone.
I went through 5 or 6 different cables already, most of them do nothing at all. Starting from old cables I can't even remember from which device, through a brand new cable rated for 10GBps data rate. For most of them Android Auto doesn't launch at all and the car may or may not say "device not recognized" or something of the sort.
The best result is with an original cable from a OnePlus Nord 2. With that cable Android Auto launches and works, but after 10-20 minutes it disconnects and doesn't connect again until I reset the phone and/or the car head unit. Didn't experiment enough with this yet.
Does anyone have a similar experience and maybe a solution? Is my phone broken or should I keep looking for a cable that works? I'm really disappointed as this is a complete deal breaker for me...
Thanks for any advice...
20 REPLIES 20

landsome
Rising Star II
Willem_NL

That conclusion is a bit premature. It looks like a timing problem on the USB bus. You will have to measure with special equipment who is causing the timing issue. It is a collaboration between two devices, it is impossible to say in advance who will go wrong with timing.

So it can be the Zenfone, but also the car. In addition to timing, impedance mismatch can also be the cause. Due to the high speeds, a USB connection is very prone to errors.

Fortunately, there is a work arround for this problem with the USB hub.

View post
My car works with the same cable (and a few others), whichever way I insert it, with the Pixel 5, Samsung S10e, Sony XZ1 Compact and Xiaomi Mi Max 3. But not with the Zenfone 8, which also has issues with other cables (same car) - and other cars. The conclusion is not really premature, but comes after lot of anecdotal data. I don't know what causes the USB-C issues on the Z8, but it stands alone, so to speak.

Willem_NL
Star II
Did the trick with the USB hub offer a solution, or did you not test it?

TheArcane
Star II
Willem_NL

View post
Didn't test it. My dad gave me his original cable from a OnePlus Nord 2 and it seems to work. Of course, my own original Nord 2 cable was the one that disconnected after 20m so go figure... I may also be helping that I got a phone mount in case I have to give up AA entirely, and I keep it in the mount instead of sliding around in some cubby...

zyga2
Star I
Willem_NL

View post
@Willem_NL It did the trick for me. I had exactly same continous android auto restarting issue with my Suzuki SX4 and connecting USB hub resolved problem. Thank you.

arielsajda
Rising Star II
Im facing charging issue while connected to usb-a port in my mazda cx-30 (zf8). The phone is not charging at all with android auto connection. Sometimes 1% up. How to fix this. The phone is also very problematic with cables. I'm using hama 5.0A PD (15 cm) usb-a to usb-c and it works (aa connection) but any of tested cables gave me charging effect...