No USB-C display output on ROG Flow X13 GV301QE

Comments

• Dear all,

May I know the AMD graphic driver version on your laptop currently?

If you uninstall the driver by device manager, back to the initial version, does it help?

Thank you.

• AMD driver version info here -- I'm away from my apartment where my type-c dock is atm but I'm sure someone else on this thread can test for us

• paulangpaulang Level 1
    edited December 2021

my new ROG X13 flow also having the same issue, is there any software update that I could try with? it works sometime but don't work most of the time...

• I would aslo love to know if there is a solution for this, bec I have more or less the same problem. None of the usb-c ports works with external displays. The hdmi port works

• Hi @paulang & @zarex360 ,

Can you please provide more description and tried the steps mentioned in the previous discussion?

And please provide product SN in the PM I send you.

Thank you.

• paulangpaulang Level 1
    edited January 7

HI Blake,

When I first got my x13 flow

• I connect it to my benq EW327u display with type-c to type-c (USB 3.1 High speed cable) and I was able to see it can display without problem
    • then I updated to windows 11 and the requires shutdown, i also disconnect the cables as I was moving around
    • after that when I done updating and reconnect all cable, the display is not working
    • some time after complete shutdown and wait for few hours then i turn on the laptop, type-c display could work, but after I connect the PD charging via another type-c port then the display is not working anymore
    • i tried both type-c port, they have the same problem
    • I already have my windows 11 updates completed, there is no further update now
    • i did not use any usb-c hub here
  • I decided to revisit this thread after having issues with my hdmi port and usb-c out,, using a different monitor than before (dell p2714t) since i still haven't able to get back to my apartment ~~ i updated drivers through AMD and still no dice.

RMAing this laptop is not possible as I need it for university. The fact that this works occasionally for myself and the numerous others on this thread implies that there is some underlying software issue in the flow x13,, not a hardware issue.

@Blake_ASUS please try to work this out with whatever software developer resources you have access to as this is clearly a more widespread problem and just asking people for their serial numbers and the model of their monitors every time they have this issue is clearly not helping anyone.

• Dear both,

Thank you for sharing the information. I have recorded and reported them.

However, we are not able to reproduce any of the scenario, that's why we are hoping to get the device and test it directly in the service center.

I will keep you all posted.

• jp1jp1 Level 1

I am experiencing the same issue (using a type c to HDMI connector). I have read some forum posts on reddit stating that going into tablet mode seem to trigger this issue (I have yet to successfully test this myself since the usb-c display out doens't work either way). Have you tested this? @Blake_ASUS

For reference,

my model number is GV301QE

AMD driver version: 21.30.02.01-210805a-370611C-Asus

AMD Software version: 10.21.30024.0

NVIDIA driver version: 496.49

Windows 11 version: 10.0.22000 Build 22000

• edited January 13

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing the feedback.

Can I have the brand and model of the connector and monitor your are using ?

It would be great if you can take a picture or video of how you set up the connection.

• jp1jp1 Level 1

Using a Samsung Odyssey C32G54TQ Monitor. The adapter used is a "Satechi USB-C 4K 60 Hz HDMI-adapter". This setup has previously worked without issue (I also tested the adapter on another laptop, working just fine, so nor the adapter or the monitor is the issue here). I get regular USB connectivity through the USB-C ports (tested with a hub), so it doesn't appear to be any physical hardware faults in the connectors. I also tried flashing an older bios (GV301QEAS406), with no results

I am suspecting that this might be an issue with the current version of Windows 11 or any firmware updates pushed through Armoury Crate? Since I have not had this issue while running on Windows 10. I will try to boot a live preview of some Linux distro, to see if that changes anything.

I have considered returning to Windows 10, so any advice/resources on reinstalling laptop drivers etc would be highly appreciated.

• I have the same isssue. It worked well before even on Windows 11. But it worked only on the right port, not the left one (the side of XG mobile port)

Probably after some update it broke.

I connect "4K Portable Monitor Touchscreen - 15.6 Inch UHD Multi Touch Auto-Rotating HDR FreeSync USB-C Portable Display with Kickstand Dual Type-C Mini HDMI for Laptop PC Phone Mac Surface Xbox PS4 Switch" via "Certified Cable Matters 40 Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Cable (USB C Thunderbolt Cable) in Black 3.3 Feet Supporting 100W Charging"

• So I uninstalled the AMD driver completely.

Then installed. Of course, it didn't help and now I do not have AMD Software installed and I don't know how to install it.

I am almost sure that it is caused by the first or the second updated item:

• I cannot post a link.

See Reddit theme "Rog flow x13 usb-c displayport problem" answer from "Butwhynotme".

My guess was correct.

• jp1jp1 Level 1

Is there any way to roll back these firmware updates? The dates match pretty well with the time I started experiencing issues.

• RaddedMCRaddedMC Level 1
    edited January 14

who said you needed link permissions to post links? 😳

reddit.com/r/FlowX13/comments/p7hqhu/comment/ha8qpzy/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

• This is what I did https://www.reddit.com/r/FlowX13/comments/p7hqhu/comment/hsojq6n/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

For now, it helped. I will post an update if it break again

• Thank you all so much for the update!

Hope that we finally get some break through!

Hi @XperiAndri ,

Can I double check with you that your USB C port stop working after Dec 9 (or it's Sep. 12 in your setting) after receiving those update in your screenshot?

• jp1jp1 Level 1

For me, did this not solve the problem. I have also double-checked that the USB-C connectors I am using are not malfunctioning with my roommate's laptop.

I also tried to:

1. Uninstall Radeon (TM) device etc. in device manager (also attempt to uninstall device driver)
    2. Hard reset (Power button for 30sec)
    3. Install drivers from AMD official
    4. reboot etc
    5. No results
    6. back to step 1,2. But install ASUS provided drivers (For Windows 10, there are none for Windows 11)
    7. repeat step 4,5

@XperiAndri Are you running Windows 10 on your machine?

• minor update to this issue on my end:

Again, haven't tried in my apartment on the hardware that I originally noticed this issue on (a university student residence that we got kicked out of because of omicron woo) but now I'm noticing that my right USB-C port seems to be working fine on my home docking setup, and my left USB-C port now gets no signal to my monitor.

This discussion has been closed.