Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HELP] Unable to install Windows 11 on Zenbook Duo - Error Code 0xC1900101

vanajvidyan
Star III
System: Windows 10.0.10944
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Asus Zenbook Duo UX482EA (i5, 8 GB)
Frequency of occurrence: Every installation attempt
========================
Detailed descriptionHi! I have an Asus Zenbook Duo (UX482E) running the latest Windows 10 version. The device is only a month old, and passes the PC Health Check for running Windows 11 on all parameters. I am not a heavy user and haven't tweaked much in the laptop either.
I tried updating to Windows 11 after downloading the Installation assist, and in the fourth stage of the update (where the screen gets all blue), the install keeps failing. Every time, the install fails at 59%, with Error Code 0xC1900101. After checking online forums, I performed a Clean boot and then tried the installation- which again failed at 59%. I also tried the system health restore via Command prompt, but no change. The Update troubleshooter does not detect a problem either. At this stage, I'm really out of clues what to do. I am not looking to tweak the BIOS- because I don't wanna get paranoid over getting the new OS.
Can someone please tell me what to do? If I install via USB, is there any chance my system would get bricked? Should I wait for the update to be officially rolled out to my device? Should I contact Asus or Microsoft, if at all? Any answers at this point would help- thank you so much!
24 REPLIES 24

tibo
Star I
vanajvidyan

Hi @MotoWiZ

Happy to share, I found a solution on the Microsoft community. I'd love to share a link, but this forum isn't allowing me to.

Apparently, my ScreenXpert software and Asus System Control Interface were creating issues. I uninstalled the drivers, and then reinstalled them post upgradation. Happy to be checking out the new OS for now 🙂

View post
Hi ! I have the same issue with my Asus Zenbook Flip UP5400EA1: it blocks at 59% with Error Code 0xC1900101.
I uninstalled the software "MyAsus" and deactivated my antivirus (Avast) but the error remains.
Edit: I confused "MyAsus" with the "Asus System Control Interface" driver. I succeeded at installing Windows 11 by
(1) uninstalling the "Asus System Control Interface" driver
(2) uninstalling my antivirus (Avast)
(3) refusing updates during the Windows 11 installation (at the beginning). I also deactivated my wifi to be sure...
For information I used the ISO installation.
Thanks.

vanajvidyan
Star III
tibo

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/198448#Comment_198448

Hi ! I have the same issue with my Asus Zenbook Flip UP5400EA1: it blocks at 59% with Error Code 0xC1900101.

I uninstalled the software "MyAsus" and deactivated my antivirus (Avast) but the error remains.

Edit: I confused "MyAsus" with the "Asus System Control Interface" driver. I succeeded at installing Windows 11 by

(1) uninstalling the "Asus System Control Interface" driver

(2) uninstalling my antivirus (Avast)

(3) refusing updates during the Windows 11 installation (at the beginning). I also deactivated my wifi to be sure...

For information I used the ISO installation.

Thanks.

View post
Glad to know you got your issue sorted!
Asus should really do something about this- it's apparently a widespread issue with multiple error reports on Microsoft forum.
@Blake_ASUS Can you help?

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
Thank you for your feedback.
I will report it to related department for more information.
But so far I have upgrade some models to Win11 by Windows update and Installation Assistant.
There is no issue at all. Both ScreenXpert and ASUS system control interface remain the same.

Hi! I have an Asus Zenbook Duo UX482E running the latest Windows 10 version. The device is only a month old and passes the PC Health Check for running Windows 11 on all parameters. I am not a heavy user and haven't tweaked much in the laptop either. I tried updating to Windows 11 after downloading the Installation assist, and in the fourth stage of the update where the screen gets all blue, the install keeps failing. Every time, the install fails at 59%, with Error Code 0xC1900101. After checking online forums, I performed a clean boot and then tried the installation- which again failed at boot loading.
An error that begins with 0xC1900101 is usually a driver error. Similar error codes you may see are:
0xC1900101 – 0x2000c
0xC1900101 – 0x20017
0xC1900101 – 0x30018
0xC1900101 – 0x3000D
0xC1900101 – 0x4000D
0xC1900101 – 0x40017
The other reasons for this error code to appear could be:
If you have a third-party antivirus installed on your PC, it might hinder the Windows 11 upgrade process. If the scenario applies, disable or uninstall your third-party antivirus suite.
If you are running low on disk space and don’t have enough space to upgrade Windows, it may result in error code 0xc1900101.
Outdated drivers can be another cause for this error.
This error code can be triggered due to Outdated BIOS. As we all know, the new Windows 11 OS has some installation prerequisites to fulfil. So, you will have to update BIOS to the latest for resolving the issue. Basically, while I am developing the best ERP partner in Kolkata then I faced this error.
Some other reasons for this error can be software conflicts or extra hardware that is plugged into your PC.
In any scenario, you should be able to fix the error by following the below methods.
Fix Error Code 0xc1900101 on Windows 11 Installation Assistant
Here are the methods to fix the error code 0xc1900101 while using Windows 11 Installation Assistant:
Update your third-party drivers.
Disable Third-Party Antivirus.
Ensure that there is sufficient storage space on your PC.
Unplug additional hardware.
Fix hard-drive errors using the CHKDSK command.
Restore and repair system files through DISM scan.
Troubleshoot in a Clean Boot State.
Update BIOS.
Clean Install Windows 11.
Upgrade to Windows 11 using Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO) file from Microsoft.
1] Update your third-party drivers
Out-of-date and faulty third-party drivers can cause this error during the upgrade process. So, before installing Windows 11 via the installation assistant, make sure all your drivers are updated. You can manually check for driver updates available by going to Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates. If there are updates available for your drivers, download and install them.
You can also go to the official website of your device manufacturer and find the latest drivers. Apart from that, there are some free third-party driver updaters that help you automatically install the latest drivers on your system.
After updating your drivers, relaunch Windows 11 Installation Assistant and check if the error is fixed.
Related: The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase during INSTALL_UPDATES, 0x800F081F – 0x20003
2] Disable Third-Party Antivirus
If you have a third-party antivirus installed on your PC, the first thing you should do to fix this error is to disable it. Overprotective antiviruses are known to cause problems during the upgrade and update process. I have also faced this error on ERP for SME but after following these steps I get rid of this error. So, disable whichever antivirus you are using and then check if the issue is resolved.
If disabling doesn’t help, you might need to uninstall the third-party security suite completely from your PC. You uninstall the antivirus program via the Settings app. Another option is to uninstall it using a free third-party uninstaller program.
Now, continue to install Windows 11 using Windows 11 Installation Assistant and see if the error is resolved now. If that doesn’t fix the problem, you can move on to the next potential solution to fix it up.
Follow these steps to resolve your issues.

flashbuy
Star II
My UX482 (i7, 16GB) got an automatic update to Windows 11 via Windows update.. My UX582 hasn't been offered yet.
Gordon