No USB-C display output on ROG Flow X13 GV301QE

RaddedMCRaddedMC Level 1
edited November 2021 in Others

Hi all,

I've been having issues getting USB-C displays to work on my Flow X13 running Windows 11. I've tried a variety of docks/adapters, restarting my laptop, resetting my BIOS, messing around with drivers, nearly everything I can think of short of a factory reset.

Occasionally, I can get an image to show up on my monitor if I fully turn off the laptop (not just restart, but literally 'shut down' and then turn it back on again) but if I unplug and replug the type-c adapter into the same port, I will once again get no image.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Comments

• Hi there,

Which monitor are you using? please share the brand and model.

Does the monitor has it's own power supply?

Does the issue happen on HDMI port?

And which type C did you plug in? Right or left one?

Thank you.

• Neither USB-C port works and the issue happens with different monitors (primarily tested with my asus VG248) and adapters, including a StarTech hub, Insignia adapter and one other.

The issue does not happen on my laptop's HDMI port, just USB-C.

Also, how do I enable email notifications on this forum?

• edited December 2021

Hi there,

Was there any specific update before the issue occurred?

let's check in the Windows update history.

And beside display, does the type C work with other function?

like data transfer, charging...

You can find the notification preference by pressing the "bell" icon and the upper bar of the forum.

Thank you.

• I believe this issue started since updating to Windows 11 but am unsure. USB-C works with everything else except display adapters.

• Hi there,

Then can I have the accurate Win11 build version the device is using now?

And please kindly check if there is any new windows update these days and complete them.

I will consult more about it.

Thank you so much.

• Just installed the latest Cumulative update right now -- still didn't fix the issue

Copied from Settings -> System -> About -> Windows Specifications:

Edition Windows 11 Home

Version 21H2

Installed on ‎10/‎21/‎2021

OS build 22000.348

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.348.0

• Hi, I have the same laptop, just got it a few days ago, and I'm having the exact same issue. Also running Windows 11.

• Hi there,

Can I have the screenshot of your Windows update history and the exact OS build version on your laptop was well?

Thank you so much.

• Thank you so much. Please kindly share your product SN in the PM I sent you.

• Hi, I also have the same problem:

USB C connection with PD from monitor to USB C port of the Flow X13:

• initially the X13 can connect to the monitor (tried Lenovo 65W and LG 94W PD) and the PD is charging the X13 ok
    • after a while, the charging of the X13 stops (despite not fully charged) and the display disconnected with "no signal error" on the monitor
    • subsequent unplug and plug of the USB C connection does not restore
    • unplug the USB C connection, shutdown X13
    • start X13 again, the external display monitor works again with X13 charging. After a while, stops working and X13 stops charging, external monitor black out again
    • the cycle repeats
    • Please resolve this bug in the X13!!!
    • There was no problem using the external display with my Dell and Lenovo laptops using USB C.
    • It's a shame that the X13 has this problem.
  • kejgohkejgoh Level 1
    edited December 2021

BTW, I'm still using Win10 with all the latest updates installed. One more observation is that when the display via USB C disconnected after operating ok for a while:

• unplug and plug USB C does not restore the display
    • restart does not restore the display
    • proper shutdown with USB C connector still connected, then restart, still does not restore the display
    • proper shutdown with USB C connector disconnected, then restart, sometimes restore the display
    • hard reset (hold power button) then restart, seems to restore the display, after working for a while, the display disconnection can recur after a random amount of time

Does this mean there might be a firmware/bios issue? Hope ASUS can fix this.

• Same thing for me as well. I've talked in DMs with @blake_asus who's confirmed that it is an issue with the firmware. I also didn't seem to have this issue on other monitors (ie, roommate's monitor, etc) and the hard reset thing has been my only way of getting my display working for probably about a month now.

I've been in touch with DisplayLink, the developers behind the drivers for my specific USB hub, who ran a diagnostic showing that the issue is some form of error that causes the displaylink chip to disconnect.

This laptop model has a number of firmware issues and I get it, developing firmware is hard for anything, moreso for a complicated all-in-one device like the x13.

• edited December 2021

Hello there,

Thank you for the information.

Can I have a screenshot of your update history and the model of your monitor?

• kejgohkejgoh Level 1
    edited December 2021

I have connected the X13 to the LG 35WN75C (USB C 94W) and Lenovo ThinkVision T27h-20 Q7'' QHD Type-C (65W). Both monitors work ok with my Lenovo and Dell laptops via USB-C one cable for charging and display. With the X13, the one cable solution almost worked except for the annoying drop-off after using for a while (for both my LG and Lenovo monitors), as also mentioned by a number of users in this track.

• Hello kejgoh,

Thank you for the quick response and information.

I have reported them and will keep you updated.

• I have the same issue. First it was the HDMI port and now it is the Type C connection. I unplugged my monitor from the type C port to use to port to plug in a standard USB harddrive. After disconnecting the hard drive from the type C port, neighter the monitor or anything else works on the type C input any longer.

I have only had this laptop for about 2 weeks and each time I think I have it set up properly, something else fails on it. Getting to be a bit ridicules!

• Dear all,

Please kindly send the product to our service center and share the RMA number with me.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you very much.

• To Blake_ASUS

Can I confirm your advice is for us all to send the X13 in for repair or replacement?

• Hello kejgoh,

For physical examination and hope repair would be enough.

Thank you.

• ycliu1997ycliu1997 Level 1
    edited December 2021

Same problem here. I have the "Acodot 9 in 1 USB Type C Hub". It works well until 12/27, I unplug the hub and connect my x13 to a projector via the HDMI port, when I plug it back the type c hub stop working. I try to restart the laptop or change the HDMI cable, update driver, everything I could, this laptop can still not able to detect my monitor (LG 32QN600-B 32-Inch QHD (2560 x 1440) ). I think this is software bug and to be honest I have a lot issue with this X13 already.