cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Tencent ROG Phone II mobile network unresponsive or slow

tomsmithy666
Star I
Hi,

I recently bought the Tencent version of the ROG Phone II in Hong Kong whilst on holiday and have been noticing some peculiar issues since i got back to the UK.

Firstly, network download speed is a fraction of what it was on my S8. Its still functional but i believe this is caused by the lack of band 20 coverage on this device (even though the paperwork i was supplied in HK implied that it supported band 20).
Secondly, upload speed on mobile network is practically 0, if im lucky ill get 2mbps, which is less than 10% of what my S8 was receiving. I also get a ton of authentication errors in apps and speed tests due to the upload simply not functioning.
The bizarre thing is, this is exclusively a mobile network issue and doesnt occur on WiFi, i have tested with several carriers: Virgin Media, EE and Three, and all of them exhibit the same symptoms, infact, the local manager at Three implied he had seen the same kind of issue with their network at the UK launch event on the UK retail version of the ROG II.

I have been through every last setting in the device (including the hilariously limited developer mode) and have yet to find a solution. Im actually pretty close to the idea of just flashing the ROM because im certain its a restriction in the ROM and not the hardware itself given that the internationally flashed version also lists band 20 as functional for this device.

Can you please advise a solution, otherwise ill be left with no choice but to flash the device to try to rectify it without you.

Thanks,
Tom Smith
5 REPLIES 5

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
From what I can see, the Tencent version doesn't (it's not supposed to) support band 20 and therefor I can't help you

tomsmithy666
Star I
I guess that means im going to have to load the WW ROM onto it myself then, shame as id rather not have to go through that process

ram4ufriends
Star II
tomsmithy666

I guess that means im going to have to load the WW ROM onto it myself then, shame as id rather not have to go through that process

View post
Even if you load WW ROM, it's not going to help as Band 20 is hardware...I don't think international ROG Phone 2 has band 20 either...

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
tomsmithy666

View post
Sorry for the late response. I don't recommend loading the WW ROM onto your device, we do not support that configuration. Other users have experienced varying levels of instability with that setup.
Even if you do decide to go that route, you will not have access to Band 20. It's a hardware difference between the two models.
ram4ufriends

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/19599#Comment_19599

Even if you load WW ROM, it's not going to help as Band 20 is hardware...I don't think international ROG Phone 2 has band 20 either...

View post
The Global variant does have Band 20 support. Please refer to the Band List here.
https://www.asus.com/Phone/ROG-Phone-II/Tech-Specs/