2. Battery or AC: AC
  3. Model: ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) & Mini
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Every few m inutes
  5. Reset OS:
  6. Screenshot or video:
  7. Firmware : Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_45898

========================

Detailed description:

Since 'upgrading' my firmware my wifi network drops connection to the internet for clients every few minutes. This doesn't happen for wired Lan connections, the wan connection is definitely up, and it is solved by disconnecting from the wifi and reconnection.

Anyone any advice on how to fix this problem? Downgrade the firmware to a better version maybe?

Comments

• marwinmarwin Level 1
    edited November 2021

Asus is not responding on any problems regarding ZenWiFi and connect problems like dropping connection, randoms restarts, backhall switching back to 2.4ghz, etc

search for all issues with concerns these descriptions zero asus comments.

• Having the same issue. Horrible experience during teleconference calls. Asus... please address

• Simlar problems with my dual AX8 setup - hw revision 1with latest firmware d.d.

All clients disconnect after a few minutes use. Some are able to reconnect but most have to reset connection by turning off/on wifi radio. W10 clients often complains about missing internet connection but sometimes will function with awful lag on the intranet.

Testing several settings for a temporary fix the one most promissing are to share the G5Hz-2 backhaul radio with clients.

From the ASUS Router app ->Network Settings ->AiMesh Wireless Backhaul select 'Use as both backhaul and fronthaul connection'

Interestingly nearly all clients now connect to this radio rather than the primary 5GHz-1 radio.

• Exactly the problem I reported on my dual XT8 setup. My query was closed without comment.

I am running 42095 without problems apart from being continuously 'nagged' to 'upgrade' my firmware - but I see no evidence that the issue has been resolved in any of the more recent versions.

Or am I wrong?

John

• I have the same firmware version and the same problems. It is very annoying indeed. It is only the second router connected by the 5G backhaul that has these problems.

• The firmware I am on - Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.386_45934 - has this problem and it is driving us NUTS. We cannot watch a movie without it dropping the connection.

For the price I paid for these - twin setup - I am bitterly disappointed.

ASUS support - have you acknowledged anywhere that this is a known issue and you're working on it? I can wait - but if not, do you want another call logged? Will that help?

I have turned the second router off this morning and hope that helps (but defeats the purpose of buying two XT8's).

• qugzqugz Level 1

I had a similar problem where I would be disconnected for around 10 seconds several times a day.

I managed to fix this by going into Advanced settings - Wireless - Professional and disabling Roaming assistant.

• Hi John,

Just to confirm, you downgraded to 42095 and it's not happening anymore? Just confirming before going ahead with downgrading to that version.

Thanks in

• G0GCDG0GCD Level 1

Just to confirm, yes 42095 has fixed the problem

I have disabled automatic updates. I haven't tried anything newer than 42095 yet but haven't seen any evidence that Asus have attended to this issue.

John

• Hi All,

Same issue here - Dell Vostro desktop (Intel wireless 3165) drops regularly on but 2.4 and 5 ghz with my dual XT8 config on 45934.

I see that Asus has released 46061. Has anyone tried it yet?

• xt8suxsxt8suxs Level 1
    edited January 21

Yeah, I tried it for 24 hours and it didn't make any difference, actually, I saw a worse ping response (with more frequent timeouts!)

Now with downgrading to 42095 for close to another 24 hours didn't have any disconnectivity at all so far! everything seems to be working fine!

Trying to figure out what might be different (config-wise) with 42095,

As an example: I don't recall what is the default value with "45934" or even "46061" for the "OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO" setting under ( Wireless -> Professional).

Can anyone still running an up-to-date version confirm what's the current config they have for the OFDMA to compare? seems with downgrading the firmware I got a different value, might be related to fixing the issue! let's see.

• Is there anything difficult about flashing to an older version? Anything to watch out for?

cheers

• xt8suxsxt8suxs Level 1
    edited January 22

Not really, as simple as downloading the firmware, confirming the MD5 checksum, and extracting the firmware file. Then upload to the "Manual firmware update". You would need to do the manual update for all of the nodes one by one.

Also, it's always a good idea to backup your settings before making any changes.

Is it possible to screenshot the "Wireless -> Professional" settings for (2.4G, 5G-1, 5G-2) before downgrading the firmware? I missed doing this part to compare what changes with the firmware change! :)

• Sorry mate, it’s at my in-law’s place and I’m not heading back there for at least two weeks.

• depmcodepmco Level 1

I'm having what is probably the same problem with my XT8. My wireless devices randomly lose connection to the internet. They indicate excellent signal strength, but have no connectivity to the internet for periods ranging from tens of seconds to minutes. If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them before my wife shoots me. (I'm the IT guy in our house ;-) )

• depmcodepmco Level 1

Sorry to reply to my own comment, but a bit of additional information. I'm using the AX in access point mode, with a wired connection to my primary router. A ping test, once every few seconds for several hours, from one of my wired devices to the AX shows the wired connection between the router and the AX is solid. As mentioned, wireless signal strength reported from the devices is excellent. So things are somehow getting lost in the AX between the wireless interface and the wired network interface.

And no, I'm not an IT professional but I'm expected to play one in our house.

-- Greg

• depmcodepmco Level 1

Crickets?

Any suggestions?

• Hi Greg@depmco , based on the discussions above, seems the only known to be working workaround, is to downgrade the firmware to 42095.

The wireless connectivity is solid after the downgrade, which isn't the best idea (to scarify the security patches and other improvements) to get stable connectivity!

Hope that helps!

• JarbinJarbin Level 1

Ok! But how do you downgrade your ZenWifi AX XT8?

• humm, Interesting! I don't see that old firmware version available for download anymore!! (search for Product Support + ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) --> BIOS & FIRMWARE ) - I can't paste link here.

Also, they added:

"If your router's production year is 2022 or above, DO NOT downgrade to this version, Please check the back label for the production year."

It seems you would need to raise a ticket with the support!

Sorry mate, wish I could help further!

This discussion has been closed.