Phone shut down at 20% battery charge

nsanedown
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 5 Ultimate
Firmware Version:18.0840.2109.176
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Two times thus far
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Might be related to the latest firmware?
So last week my phone shut down all of a sudden when it still had 20% battery charge in it.
Upon pressing the power button it did not sprung back to life but did recover once i placed the charger in, indicating that my battery was at 0% which was odd since it was at 20% a few seconds prior.
I've been using the battery care features, with ultra steady and 80% charge limit selected after the first initial 100% charge.
Just now it happened again, where once at 20% the phone simply shut down and indicated that I had 0% charge left in it.
I have attached a screenshot that shows the dip, and am going to charge it to 100% and see if that improves things but wanted to ask if anyone else bumped into this issue and happens to have a solution.
Unless this is related to the current firmware and the upcoming one will take care of the issue.
========================================
battery-consumption.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

FunBike31
Community Legend I
This is the only correction of Firmware .188, the charging system, checks from time to time if it is available for you, several users have already had it.
Since your Rog 5 turns off at 20%, charge the battery well and leave it on the charger during the update. Repeat a battery calibration following.

k_huat
Rising Star II
nsanedown

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 5 Ultimate
  2. Firmware Version:18.0840.2109.176
  3. Rooted or not: Not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Two times thus far
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Might be related to the latest firmware?

So last week my phone shut down all of a sudden when it still had 20% battery charge in it.

Upon pressing the power button it did not sprung back to life but did recover once i placed the charger in, indicating that my battery was at 0% which was odd since it was at 20% a few seconds prior.

I've been using the battery care features, with ultra steady and 80% charge limit selected after the first initial 100% charge.

Just now it happened again, where once at 20% the phone simply shut down and indicated that I had 0% charge left in it.

I have attached a screenshot that shows the dip, and am going to charge it to 100% and see if that improves things but wanted to ask if anyone else bumped into this issue and happens to have a solution.

Unless this is related to the current firmware and the upcoming one will take care of the issue.

battery-consumption.jpg

Phone shut down at 20% battery charge
k_huat

1. Model Name: rog phone 5
  2. Firmware Version:
  3. Rooted or not:
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: everytime after the only first time I saw it works at battery 9%
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

Is it normal for my rog 5 shutdown at battery level about just below 20%?

I saw my phone once works under 10% n it shows a red light notification when it reach 9%, after that I charge my phone everytime before it shutdown.

But recently my rog 5 shutdown at the middle I watch YouTube at battery level somewhere below 20% (everytime in last few days). I thought the battery might drained up coz by watching YouTube; but just now at the middle of replying zentalk my rog 5 shutdown again at battery level somewhere below 20% as well. Is this normal? It seems like I can only occupy the battery between 80-20% only? Thanks

My setting is dynamic n auto for refresh rate.

Ps: pls do not ask me to generate the log as I'm not well versed in tech stuff n I hv no time for it.

Phone shutdown @battery just below 20%

Above is what I experienced for your reference

nsanedown
Star III
k_huat

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/54830/phone-shut-down-at-20-battery-charge

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/52994/phone-shutdown-battery-just-below-20

Above is what I experienced for your reference

View post
did the problem persist after the final post?
since now after leaving it to charge it won't go past 99%, which is also mentioned in your previous thread.
from reading it would seem that it's also connected to the stock charger they give you out of the box?
searched up that Electron app on the playstore and found 2 of them but don't know which one to go with but do have Accubattery installed and it shows both batteries.

nsanedown
Star III
Ok, so after having it die again at 20% I left the charger in for another hour after it kept staying at 99% and sure enough the led light finally turned green and now it's saying it's at 100%.
Still not sure if the battery is fully calibrated nor if there's any trick I need to perform other than letting it go to 100% without turning the phone on, then letting it die and repeating the process in the hopes that it finally displays the right amount of charge.