This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you ASUS for implementing VoLTE & VoWiFi for Telstra, Australia in Nov 2021 Firmware Update

noldoli
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 5
Firmware Version: WW_18.0840.2109.188
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Happily always!
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Phone calls
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Thank you ASUS for supporting VoLTE & VoWiFi on Telstra mobile network, in Australia starting Nov 2021 firmware update! This has been long overdue, but, as they say, better late than never 😀.
Thank you. I hope the future ASUS phones have these sorts of essential functionalities right off the bat as and when the new phones are released in our market (and in hopefully every market you sell your phones to).
Good luck for those lacking these functionalities (and been patiently waiting!) that you too hopefully will soon be getting a similar treatment in your country on the mobile carrier of your choice.
12 REPLIES 12

phoenix_horizon
Star II
What rom version are you on? I have no such support and I have just updated.

noldoli
Star III
WW_18.0840.2109.188
Sorry are you with Telstra too? With Boost (Telstra retailer), I had to call them to "provision" VoLTE for my SIM initially. If you haven't already tested it, perhaps you can test your SIM out on another phone that's known to support VoLTE and VoWiFi to confirm that the SIM itself is good (like Samsungs or Apples)?
Finally, I remember executing this long ago to activate the VoLTE and VoWiFi settings to appear in Settings (simply having the settings & toggling them won't help if the carrier and/or SIM don't support those functionalities, of course): *#*#3642623344#*#*
Thanks

noldoli
Star III
To summarise, three things appear to be needed for VoLTE and/or VoWiFi to work:
The phone having the necessary MBN files for the mobile carrier in question
The SIM having VoLTE provisioned by the carrier in question
Toggling VoLTE and VoWiFi settings (which may need that Enhanced 4G code trick to be executed first)

noldoli
Star III
volte-telstra-boost.jpg
vowifi-telstra-boost.jpg

The first screen-shot shows an active VoLTE connection, while the second VoWiFi.
Upon connecting to WiFi, ASUS Rog 5 switches from VoLTE to VoWiFi in about ~10 seconds, which is definitely snappier than Moto G 5G -- perhaps it used to take ~20 seconds on Moto.
I remember that Moto was a little "sensitive" about VoWiFi, by dropping it off occasionally, but so far ASUS hasn't dropped VoWiFi, by holding on that connection rather strongly. So far, so good. Touch wood.