This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone freezes/restarts during phone calls

StaggeredAmusem
Star II
I've had my Zenfone 8 for a week and a half and keep running into an odd bug. When taking a call using my headphones plugged into the 3.5mm jack, the Zenfone 8 freezes and restarts within 2 minutes of starting the call. This doesn't happen with bluetooth headphones, nor when using the earpiece of the Zenfone 8. I've tried multiple wired headphones, and the issue persists. I'm on the most recent software update, and this persists after a factory reset.
Has anyone else encountered this bug? Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
31 REPLIES 31

leonardov7
Star I
Irene2_ASUS

Hi @leonardov7 @mattisx @StaggeredAmusement

Please check you personal inbox, I will PM you and request you all new logs to continue investigating this.

Thank you!

View post
Hi @Irene2_ASUS , when can I expect your PM? I still have not received it. Thank you!

Irene2_ASUS
Zen Master I
Hi @leonardov7,
Please check your PM for a direct message from me, check the top right envelope box 🙂

I have the exact same issue with my Zenfone 8, I'm also on the latest firmware version 30.12.112.36
i'm under the impression it shuts down due to some kind of electric short circuit while in a call, and shutting down is happeing to protect the phone from further damage.
Listening to music on the same headphone is nu issue, but any call via a 3,5 mm audio jack will always cause the phone to shut down (I also tried multiple 3,5mm jacked headsets, resulting in the same shutdown occuring while calling.) I'm following this tread to see if a solution is found.
If I need to supply further information to help narrow down the cause I'm happy to help
This phone having an audiojack was the main reason for me to buy it.

dpt17
Star I
I've encountered this problem too. Talking with built-in earpiece and speaker has had no issues thus far. Talking through my car's mic & speakers via bluetooth has had no issues thus far either. A few times I have been on calls with a headset directly connected via 3.5mm jack and the phone has crashed.
Version: 30.12.112.36

dpt17
Star I
Update: I also tried a video call using google meet with the headset connected to the 3.5mm jack and it worked fine so far. Thus, I strongly suspect that this is a software problem with the phone app (or system underpinnings) and not a hardware problem.