Fritzfreak
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Asus Rog Phone 5
Firmware Version:  WW-18.0840.2109.176
Rooted or not: Not Rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: First time happened
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Not app specific
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Good day, i bought my phone in May and did not have any issues with it whatsoever since then however yesterday the phone overheated and it shut down by itself for some reason while i was playing the game League of Legends Wildrift on my phone while also listening to some music .
I never had this issue before while playing the game or on any app for that matter but i am concerned that the phone just died, i need some help here.
The phone got too hot to touch so i grabbed some gloves and left it close to a fan to cool down . I wanted to ask is this a problem with the ROG Phone 5 phones because of the Snapdragon 855 chip ? I never had overheating issues on this phone but i don't understand why it suddenly had this at such a random time... the game that i mentioned had the same settings ever since i started playing on the first week of may when i downloaded it so that is obviously not the problem here .
What should i do next and is there any chance i can get a replacement phone for this or at least my money back in case that's not possible ?
I barely have like 6 months since the phone was bought and i still have the warranty of 24 months valid so I am asking what is the next step here... thank you !

7 REPLIES 7

Fritzfreak
Star I
FunBike31

@Fritzfreak

Did you have the device connected to the charger? in Charge or By-Pass mode

View post
No, i was playing without charging it, i remember it had like 65% of battery left when it shut down.
It's not recommended to play a game while it's charging or something ? I saw other people ask me about this

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Ouch, Very significant overheating without the charger is serious, it is something that should never happen, the qualcomm driver will have to reduce the frequency, at worst render the game unusable but not overheat to the point of not holding it in. hand.

Yes, playing with the charger is strongly discouraged because it greatly increases the temperature of the battery in addition to that produced by the games and of course greatly reduces the battery life in the best case.
This is to be qualified because the games launched with Armory Create and the bypassing of the load feeds the Soc, the battery does not provide or receive any current, in practice, it is even better than to play without the charger, the disadvantage is just the thread that can get in the way.

Fritzfreak
Star I
FunBike31

Ouch, Very significant overheating without the charger is serious, it is something that should never happen, the qualcomm driver will have to reduce the frequency, at worst render the game unusable but not overheat to the point of not holding it in. hand.

Yes, playing with the charger is strongly discouraged because it greatly increases the temperature of the battery in addition to that produced by the games and of course greatly reduces the battery life in the best case.

This is to be qualified because the games launched with Armory Create and the bypassing of the load feeds the Soc, the battery does not provide or receive any current, in practice, it is even better than to play without the charger, the disadvantage is just the thread that can get in the way.

View post
I never play with X mode enabled, Its like your asking for your phone to die with that thing enabled, and i can't trust that mode however yes, i do allow armory crate to optimize the games i am playing . Normally i just play at 120hz and with medium to high settings in my games and I've heard and seen many videos of people complaining about the Snapdragon 888 chip being a disaster on some phones + paired with the fact that the ROG phone 5 aparently doesn't have a very good cooling chassis makes me believe that this was bound to happen at some point.
Thought i was lucky thou when my phone was not having these issues but well, looks like my luck's run out...
I am curious if with the aero-active cooler bought this overheating problem would've still happened. I wanted to buy it when i got the phone in May however it was and still is nowhere to be seen to order it.