Did you mean: 

Does ROG Phone 5 support desktop mode?

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:Asus ROG Phone 5 ZS673KS
Firmware Version: 1.1.94
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I'm thinking about getting NexDock, but can't find information about does my phone support desktop mode?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WarJoy
Star II
Hi
I was recently experimenting with a desktop mode on my Asus rog phone 5, by just connecting a USB-C <-> HDMI cable and a bluetooth apple mouse and a Bluetooth keyboard (I understand the NextDock is just containing these items together in a cool laptop looking box, the only difference I think is I was using Bluetooth for some of my peripherals instead of a USB-C cable).
Before doing so, I enabled the developer settings:
• Force activities resizeable
• Enable freeform windows
• Force desktop mode
• Enable freeform sizecompat
(Without changing these settings the desktop was just mirroring my android screen - which doesn't look good nor is useful)

The result, except for 2 apps on my phone which support multiple desktops (including the well known VLC player): the desktop mode didn't really work.
I wasn't able to open any app on the external screen (short mouse click didn't work), but I was able to go into app properties of any app (long mouse click did work).
Maybe I should make a YouTube video on how the desktop mode doesn't work on this phone 🤔.

So, I connect to the question above:
I wonder if that's an expected behaviour or if there is any method for making the desktop mode functional?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

WarJoy
Star II
Hi
I was recently experimenting with a desktop mode on my Asus rog phone 5, by just connecting a USB-C <-> HDMI cable and a bluetooth apple mouse and a Bluetooth keyboard (I understand the NextDock is just containing these items together in a cool laptop looking box, the only difference I think is I was using Bluetooth for some of my peripherals instead of a USB-C cable).
Before doing so, I enabled the developer settings:
• Force activities resizeable
• Enable freeform windows
• Force desktop mode
• Enable freeform sizecompat
(Without changing these settings the desktop was just mirroring my android screen - which doesn't look good nor is useful)

The result, except for 2 apps on my phone which support multiple desktops (including the well known VLC player): the desktop mode didn't really work.
I wasn't able to open any app on the external screen (short mouse click didn't work), but I was able to go into app properties of any app (long mouse click did work).
Maybe I should make a YouTube video on how the desktop mode doesn't work on this phone 🤔.

So, I connect to the question above:
I wonder if that's an expected behaviour or if there is any method for making the desktop mode functional?

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Try this program, download and doc are on this link, the only difficulty you may have are ADB authorization.
https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy
You need the ADB drivers and this program, a USB cable, nothing else.
It also works in WIFI, the configuration is a bit complicated for a beginner
There is absolutely nothing to install on the Smartphone, it is a huge plus for stability

The only negative point for this desktop use is rapid battery degradation if you leave it on charge, and the charge bypass mode which is only available through Armory Create.