This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RoG Phone 5] New update! WW_18.0840.2109.176

metamemelord
Star II
Has anyone tried the latest WW_18.0840.2109.176 update? Is it stable?
I am not fully up for upgrading, since .151 hard bricked my device - had to get motherboard changed at the service centre. For those who had updated .151 and phone worked fine, please share experience of .176 as well.
Ps - After motherboard replace, the device automatically updated to 156. Other than weird proximity sensor triggers, screenlocks, and minor lags, everything seems ok to me.
9 REPLIES 9

metamemelord
Star II
FunBike31

plustard-jpg.jpg

notifrestart-jpg.jpg

There is no point in waiting for feedback on Firwmare updates with Google's dictatorship policy, whatever you do your system will be up to date, the only thing possible is to turn off "Automatic system update" in the options developers, but this is misleading, the update will be done anyway, this option will just allow you to answer "later" or "restart now".

Clearly, the choices download, install no longer exist, the firwmare is automatically downloaded and installed on a hidden partition which will be active when the device is restarted.

Due to many memory corruption issues in software and even on low level qualcomm chip drivers, the only safe procedure still possible is as follows.

Automatic system update on deactivated (developers option)

Do not restart the phone when requesting notifications

Physically turn off the smartphone and turn it back on

Désolé pour les captures Francaise mais j'ai la flemme de repasser encore en anglais

View post
I understand your frustration! However, I noticed that after my motherboard was replaced and I got my phone back with ancient firmware, it got auto-updated to .156. However, upon checking the availability of .176, I checked auto update settings and it let me turn off auto updates. I think the option is called "Automatically download and install" in System Updates section. Please make it "Do not allow" and your phone will just show notifications every now and then, which you can ignore.

metamemelord
Star II
Also, a sincere request to Asus, we really do not want exquisite software features, please keep things stable. REALLY, just that. 🙂

anil_krsh123
Star I
3 days after Update 176, my phone is bricked and it doesn't start. Will visit service centre on Monday.
My Wifi was already not working after 151.
I have used so many smartphones and I have to visit a service centre for first time in my life due to ASUS.

Indr
Rising Star II
Updated Yesterday, I am also faced Wifi/Hotspot problem before, forced me to do MOBO change..
My fingerprint sensor working fine after replace MOBO, in previous times only working 6/7 out of 10 times..
Still not found anything after latest firmware, will updated again in some days

FunBike31
Community Legend I
metamemelord

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/188299#Comment_188299

I understand your frustration! However, I noticed that after my motherboard was replaced and I got my phone back with ancient firmware, it got auto-updated to .156. However, upon checking the availability of .176, I checked auto update settings and it let me turn off auto updates. I think the option is called "Automatically download and install" in System Updates section. Please make it "Do not allow" and your phone will just show notifications every now and then, which you can ignore.

View post
Thank you, I just saw that my option to disable the download of the update was back to enable, it's strange because I had disabled it on the 1st start-up after the purchase and I manually downloaded the versions until the latest firmware.
Hoping that this option will remain in 12, 12.1 and following, because if it is essential to update to correct the security vulnerabilities, manual downloading allows you to do it properly with a clean tel.