This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi tethering with Zenfone 8 not working on.AT&T

tbessie
Star III
So I recently bought a Zenfone 8 and found that WiFi tethering isn't working.
Every other unlocked Android phone I've ever used has worked with AT&T, but not this one.
I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem with the phone or if AT&T is blocking it for tethering.
Anyone else on AT&T got tethering working?
- Tim
3 REPLIES 3

Hi, did you get the solution, because i am also having same problem with my mobile

tbessie
Star III
maria.korney.55

Hi, did you get the solution, because i am also having same problem with my mobile

View post
On the AT&T forum, they said my plan doesn't support hotspot tethering.
However, on my old phone - Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact - WiFi tethering was working fine.
Someone on that forum said that it SHOULDN'T have been working.
I noticed that the type of phone I had, as known to my AT&T account, used to be some kind of random phone (it didn't say it was an Xperia model), and now that I switched to the Zenfone 8, it now shows the Zenfone 8 model number. It could be that it wasn't recognizing tethering when initiating by the type of phone it THOUGHT I was using, but now that it knows I'm using the Zenfone, it can tell and then reject it.
In the past, when I've tried tethering without a tethering plan, it worked, but I got a warning. This time, it didn't even work at the start.
It's all very odd. At some point I'll experiment - I'll move my SIM back to the Xperia, I'll try to change the kind of phone AT&T thinks I have, etc.
If all else fails, I'll see how much a tethering plan costs, and if it's not exhorbitant, I'll get it and see if that fixes the problem.
I'll report back here when I've tried all the above.
Tim

tbessie

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/188374#Comment_188374

On the AT&T forum, they said my plan doesn't support hotspot tethering.

However, on my old phone - Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact - WiFi tethering was working fine.

Someone on that forum said that it SHOULDN'T have been working.

I noticed that the type of phone I had, as known to my AT&T account, used to be some kind of random phone (it didn't say it was an Xperia model), and now that I switched to the Zenfone 8, it now shows the Zenfone 8 model number. It could be that it wasn't recognizing tethering when initiating by the type of phone it THOUGHT I was using, but now that it knows I'm using the Zenfone, it can tell and then reject it.

In the past, when I've tried tethering without a tethering plan, it worked, but I got a warning. This time, it didn't even work at the start.

It's all very odd. At some point I'll experiment - I'll move my SIM back to the Xperia, I'll try to change the kind of phone AT&T thinks I have, etc.

If all else fails, I'll see how much a tethering plan costs, and if it's not exhorbitant, I'll get it and see if that fixes the problem.

I'll report back here when I've tried all the above.

• Tim

View post
Thanks issue is revolved had the same thing in mind

Regards