This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random stuttering on AMD systems (Clues to fix)

gamervibe
Star II
System: G17 STRIX 2021 & TUF FX505
Battery or AC: Both
Model: G713QR & FX505DD
Frequency of occurrence: Uncommon, maybe 1-2 times a week for me.
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video: Unable to catch it
========================
Detailed description:Random stuttering that lasts roughly 2 seconds until things return to normal. The frequency of this is incredibly random. It can be as often as 2 times a week to not showing up for a couple of weeks at all. This is the same in both laptops I have had. I got the G713QR 3 weeks ago and had the FX505DD for more than a year. The FX505DD has had this issue since the beginning as well. It still functions perfectly fine but the rare system wide stuttering still occurs.
NOTE: When the random stuttering occurs on the G713QR, the RBG lights on the keyboard flicker and reset to starting position (Rainbow pattern)

All peripherals are different. The hardware is completely different between the two machines.
The only things they have in common..
BOTH ARE AMD SYSTEMS with a NVIDIA GPU
BOTH ARE RUNNING ARMOURY CRATE
BOTH ARE ALWAYS RUNNING THE TURBO / MANUAL CRATE SETTING
BOTH ARE RUNNING THE LATEST STABLE WINDOWS 10 BUILD

I'm putting this out there for the many others who are having this issue and haven't been able to resolve it. I found some clues that I have yet to try but will eventually get to trying it.

I have tried OEM drivers and updated all drivers. I have disabled some drivers too as a test. I've pretty much done everything under the sun, however there are two things I have not done yet because I need the functionality they provide.

FIRST THING is I have not completely uninstalled the ASUS Crate and other software that comes with the machine.
SECOND THING is there are now reports of people who have figured out that fTPM (AMD related) being enabled in the BIOS is causing the exact same stuttering that we have all been experiencing here. When they disable it, the stuttering is no longer present. I believe this can be disabled on most laptops and motherboards.
5 REPLIES 5

gamervibe
Star II
You can check to see if TPM is enabled by going to search or run -> tpm.msc
image.png
The problem with disabling TPM is you may not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 or you'll not be eligible for certain updates. One suggestion was to clean the TPM instead and that might fix the issue without having to disable TPM itself.

The forum where all the talk about fTPM causing issues is here
linustechtips.com/topic/1353904-amd-ftpm-causing-random-stuttering/

There are guides you can look up to clean or disable TPM on your system.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
Have you ever tried different Wifi or Ethernet connection?
Or even use in different environment and wall plug?
Thank you.

gamervibe
Star II
Yes I have tried all of that. There are several users reporting this very issue. It happens in both my systems.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
It is quite difficult to identify the cause under this scenario.
We might need more information, like is there any external device or monitor?bluetooth?
Thank you.