Star I
System: Win10 Pro
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Asus VivoBook X542UN
Frequency of occurrence: All the time
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description: Since the pandemic started, I've been working from home with a multi-monitor setup connected to work laptop(HP) using a docking station. I also have my personal laptop(VivoBook X542UN) that I bought back in 2017. Usually, I disconnect my work laptop for the weekend and hook-up personal to the dock, however, the displays don't work, so I have to disconnect two cables(VGA/HDMI) from the docking station and connect them directly to laptop. I have tried these with three different docking stations (2x through USB-C. 1x through USB-A 3.0) but it still doesn't work.
I've searched on the web and I assume the first answer I'll get here is that my laptop does not support display export over USB ports. But now my question... Is it at all possible to somehow connect external monitors to my laptop through a docking station? any official Asus dock that can do that?
Another question, my wife happens to have an portable monitor that, with some magic, works with my laptop over USB-A connection. So, if my laptop doesn't support display export over USB, how is this working? And if this is working, what can I do to make other display's work as well?
Thanks in advance
Best regards
Rameniki
2 REPLIES 2

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Rameniki,
It requires another graphic card to do so.
So if your hub or dock has an external graphic card inside, it might help you to export display.
And our portable monitor is designed under the same idea, it combines the graphic card and converter so you only need a USB cable to use it.
Thank you.

Rameniki
Star I
Hello Blake,
Thanks for the information.
So, I'll just have to continue with cabling exercises when I need to swamp the laptops. 😕