Rog phone 5 ulti heating issue

B_4_C_2_D_0
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:rog phone 5 ulti
Firmware Version:.151
Rooted or not:no root
Frequency of Occurrence: phone getting hot evenwhile doing menial daily tasks
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): spotifyrunning in the background, reddit browsing, messenger
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I've had this phone for about 3 to 4 days now and my temps while doing regular daily tasks seem to heat up my phone and it's concerning given i basically paid a kidney for this thing.
My temps are as follows while doing ordinary daily light multitasking activities(spotify, reddit browsing, messaging etc.)
Cpu steady at 37c it reaches 42 to 45c when i play spotify in the background
Same with gpu temps
System temp is at 30 to 35c
Do i have a heating issue? Others have mentioned in rog community connect that i should return my unit.shoud i?
I really like this phone cause it fits and even exceeds my needs.
Thanks in advance
screenshot-20210915-142457661.jpg
screenshot-20210915-142436949.jpg
To add to this my temps are at 35c cpu and 33c batt at idle.
My settings are at 50%brightness
Dynamic mode
Auto refresh rate
20 REPLIES 20

B_4_C_2_D_0
Star II
waxy78611

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/52853/rog-phone-5-ulti-heating-issue

The phone certainly does have heating issues. Even the standard Rog 5 does too. Put it this way, with my Huawei p40 pro plus, the maximum temperature I get is around 27 degrees but this is with multi tasking/very heavy usage. With normal usage kind YouTube it doesn't go above 22 degrees and idle temperature is maximum 20 degrees. On my Rog 5, it's a completely different story, very similar to yours infact. I've noticed that the higher refresh rate makes the temperature go crazy. Even when compared to when I had the Rog 3, the Rog 5 gets dangerously warm. From what I've read, if the phone goes above approximately 35 degrees, this is when the batter(ies) take a hit and affected long term. The heating issue is affecting ALL Rog 5 users, including the pro and ultimate variants

View post
Hello, if you dont mind me asking,
When did you acquire your device?
How long into your daily session does your phone begin to heat up? 30 mins? 2 hrs? With minimal multitasking (youtube, browsing etc) ? how about when gaming?
What are the steps you made to minimize/manage heating with regards to daily use/activities? Or while gaming?
And with regards of the 35c temp that may damage the battery, is that with the system temp, cpu or gpu temps? As what danishblunt has said in his comment system temps of 55c and above are the "danger" levels...
Thanks for responding.

Lord_Messi
Zen Master II
a. When did you acquire your device?
3 months ago
b. How long into your daily session does your phone begin to heat up? 30 mins? 2 hrs? With minimal multitasking (youtube, browsing etc) ? how about when gaming?
Around 30 mins for daily multitaskting like social media, browsing or youtube and 5-10 mins when I play light games like mobile legends. It's easily reach 43c after 30 mins played mobile legends
c. What are the steps you made to minimize/manage heating with regards to daily use/activities? Or while gaming?
I try to use dynamic mode to make it cooler but it's no use
d. And with regards of the 35c temp that may damage the battery, is that with the system temp, cpu or gpu temps?
That's system temp

B_4_C_2_D_0
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/186237#Comment_186237

This is the case with almost all phones. All phones throttle except for very very few ones, it's the norm noadays. Why do you think do Iphones perform so well in short benchmarks but are an complete and utter nightmare when it comes to any demanding games or emulation?

Longevity of the Rog5 is indeed a major concern, it's sadly also one of my concerns as well. Sadly on release it was very clear the phone was very rushed and with it came tons of defects, asus has already made another revision of the motherboard fixing some issues such as the Wifi, that being said we still don't know if the power IC / storage will die on future revisions yet as so far I don't think any schematics have been released.

Generally avoid charging while playing games, avoid hypercharge as much as possible, always go slow charge, maybe use the scheduled charge, other than that there really isnt anything else you can do as a normal user to prevent something from happening if the new revisions have fixed all issues, then it should last you quite some time until you do something like pressure on it to much, as we know from the durability test from jerryrigeverything the phone isnt exacly sturdy.

View post
I have read up on the issues you mentioned about the motherboard. Should i be concerned as well?
From what i've seen so far the bad batch ended up in india. And most of our brothers there ended up going thru a disastrous warranty claim... I'm from the philippines, is there any chance i may have ended up with a bad motherboard also? Do issues about wifi/mobo show up immediately? How do i check?

B_4_C_2_D_0
Star II
Lord_Messi

a. When did you acquire your device?

3 months ago

b. How long into your daily session does your phone begin to heat up? 30 mins? 2 hrs? With minimal multitasking (youtube, browsing etc) ? how about when gaming?

Around 30 mins for daily multitaskting like social media, browsing or youtube and 5-10 mins when I play light games like mobile legends. It's easily reach 43c after 30 mins played mobile legends

c. What are the steps you made to minimize/manage heating with regards to daily use/activities? Or while gaming?

I try to use dynamic mode to make it cooler but it's no use

d. And with regards of the 35c temp that may damage the battery, is that with the system temp, cpu or gpu temps?

That's system temp

View post
How's your battery life so far? Any noticable change since 3 months ago? Any other issues that happend since? Because of the heating and what not... Ty for responding

waxy78611
Zen Master I
B 4 C 2 D 0

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/186186#Comment_186186

Hello, if you dont mind me asking,

When did you acquire your device?

How long into your daily session does your phone begin to heat up? 30 mins? 2 hrs? With minimal multitasking (youtube, browsing etc) ? how about when gaming?

What are the steps you made to minimize/manage heating with regards to daily use/activities? Or while gaming?

And with regards of the 35c temp that may damage the battery, is that with the system temp, cpu or gpu temps? As what danishblunt has said in his comment system temps of 55c and above are the "danger" levels...

Thanks for responding.

View post
I purchased the device when it first released, around May.
It takes roughly about 10 minutes of web browsing or 20 minutes of YouTube before the phone starts to get warm. Bare in mind, this is with around 30% brightness sometimes less. Also this is with 60hz, with higher refresh rate the phone gets even more hot. Infact, I never use higher refresh rates because of this heating 😈
The steps I've taken are I have Bluetooth, GPS, Sync all OFF unless I need them. I've deleted some apps using ADB. I use 60hz mode all the time. I use dynamic mode all the time too. But even with all this, it still gets warm. Now, imagine if I didn't use these settings, the phone would be like am Oven, too hot to use and uncomfortable to touch.
Mr Who's the boss mentioned in a video that everytime phone temperature goes above 30 degrees, it's dangerous for the battery and will cause battery to degrade. I'm not sure how accurate that claim is so thought I'd mention it. I use GSAM Battery monitor to check temperature and I also check under the battery profile which shows temperature. Hope this helped