Rog phone 5 ulti heating issue

B_4_C_2_D_0
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:rog phone 5 ulti
Firmware Version:.151
Rooted or not:no root
Frequency of Occurrence: phone getting hot evenwhile doing menial daily tasks
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): spotifyrunning in the background, reddit browsing, messenger
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I've had this phone for about 3 to 4 days now and my temps while doing regular daily tasks seem to heat up my phone and it's concerning given i basically paid a kidney for this thing.
My temps are as follows while doing ordinary daily light multitasking activities(spotify, reddit browsing, messaging etc.)
Cpu steady at 37c it reaches 42 to 45c when i play spotify in the background
Same with gpu temps
System temp is at 30 to 35c
Do i have a heating issue? Others have mentioned in rog community connect that i should return my unit.shoud i?
I really like this phone cause it fits and even exceeds my needs.
Thanks in advance
screenshot-20210915-142457661.jpg
screenshot-20210915-142436949.jpg
To add to this my temps are at 35c cpu and 33c batt at idle.
My settings are at 50%brightness
Dynamic mode
Auto refresh rate
20 REPLIES 20

B_4_C_2_D_0
Star II
Ok so are all rog phone 5's like this?
Seems like we're given overpowered specs but can only use it's maximum potential in short bursts of gameplay/usage to avoid frying the hardware.... I wish i had read the threads on here while deciding on getting this phone. came from a poco f1 which served me well, lasted me almost 4 years and been eyeing this rog phone for a while.when my poco died i got lucky and found an ultimate for a replacement. So far im fine with it now that you've given clarity on my concerns, just a bit worried on the longevity of this investment.
Any more tips or advice on making the most out of this phone? And also additional tips to avoid frying it?
Thank you

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
B 4 C 2 D 0

Ok so are all rog phone 5's like this?

Seems like we're given overpowered specs but can only use it's maximum potential in short bursts of gameplay/usage to avoid frying the hardware.... I wish i had read the threads on here while deciding on getting this phone. came from a poco f1 which served me well, lasted me almost 4 years and been eyeing this rog phone for a while.when my poco died i got lucky and found an ultimate for a replacement. So far im fine with it now that you've given clarity on my concerns, just a bit worried on the longevity of this investment.

Any more tips or advice on making the most out of this phone? And also additional tips to avoid frying it?

Thank you

View post
This is the case with almost all phones. All phones throttle except for very very few ones, it's the norm noadays. Why do you think do Iphones perform so well in short benchmarks but are an complete and utter nightmare when it comes to any demanding games or emulation?
Longevity of the Rog5 is indeed a major concern, it's sadly also one of my concerns as well. Sadly on release it was very clear the phone was very rushed and with it came tons of defects, asus has already made another revision of the motherboard fixing some issues such as the Wifi, that being said we still don't know if the power IC / storage will die on future revisions yet as so far I don't think any schematics have been released.
Generally avoid charging while playing games, avoid hypercharge as much as possible, always go slow charge, maybe use the scheduled charge, other than that there really isnt anything else you can do as a normal user to prevent something from happening if the new revisions have fixed all issues, then it should last you quite some time until you do something like pressure on it to much, as we know from the durability test from jerryrigeverything the phone isnt exacly sturdy.

Lord_Messi
Zen Master II
That is what happen to me too
This phone easily hot even when I use it for browse or watch youtube

B_4_C_2_D_0
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/186237#Comment_186237

This is the case with almost all phones. All phones throttle except for very very few ones, it's the norm noadays. Why do you think do Iphones perform so well in short benchmarks but are an complete and utter nightmare when it comes to any demanding games or emulation?

Longevity of the Rog5 is indeed a major concern, it's sadly also one of my concerns as well. Sadly on release it was very clear the phone was very rushed and with it came tons of defects, asus has already made another revision of the motherboard fixing some issues such as the Wifi, that being said we still don't know if the power IC / storage will die on future revisions yet as so far I don't think any schematics have been released.

Generally avoid charging while playing games, avoid hypercharge as much as possible, always go slow charge, maybe use the scheduled charge, other than that there really isnt anything else you can do as a normal user to prevent something from happening if the new revisions have fixed all issues, then it should last you quite some time until you do something like pressure on it to much, as we know from the durability test from jerryrigeverything the phone isnt exacly sturdy.

View post
Thanks for the advice.
I have been reading through the forums and have read up on what you said about the faulty motherboards. Should i be concerned about that also? I have had this phone for about 5 days now updated to .151 without issues with the wifi... I have read that most of the faulty motherboards were mostly sent and bought by our brothers from india.I'm from the philippines, is there any chance i may have also recieved a faulty motherboard? Do the issues about the motherboard show up immediately? How do i check?

B_4_C_2_D_0
Star II
Lord_Messi

That is what happen to me too

This phone easily hot even when I use it for browse or watch youtube

View post
Hello, if you dont mind me asking,
When did you acquire your device?
How long into your daily session does your phone begin to heat up? 30 mins? 2 hrs? With minimal multitasking (youtube, browsing etc) ? how about when gaming?
What are the steps you made to minimize/manage heating with regards to daily use/activities? Or while gaming?
Thanks for responding.