This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential cause of completely dead Rog5 phones

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
First of all I want to mention this is a theory, but it seems to be rather solid and would like to ask people to give some information regarding their Rog5 phones death.
So as you guys know it isnt exacly unusual to kill your Rog5, every time one of these phones die they have been shorted. Today I had a talk with a guy on my discord and I explained to him how the modes work on a charger and a phone, however I was unsure which voltages the Rog3 supported so I took a look on the charger and there I found a potential culprit for our issue.
It seems the charger supports 20v mode, which is way to much for any phone to handle to my knowledge, if a powersurge like that gets blasted through the phone no wonder it will destroy the power IC.
As some people know, there is a certain communication between a charger and a phone, meaning the phones IC will tell the charger which mode to use and the charger will comply, however if this communication messes up, it can result in a catastropihc failure, much like some people have experienced here.
In order to investigate a little more I would like Rog5 users with completely dead phones (not powering on, black screen) to tell me:
Did your phone die while charging?
Did you use the original Rog charger?
Does your charger support 20v mode (look on the bottom of the charger for this)
If this theory holds water then I strongly suggest you get yourself a charger that supports max voltage of 12v, I believe the 20v mode is reserved for ASUS's low end notebooks and is absolutely not intended for mobile phones.
This also goes for the Rog3 users, altho its very rare the rog3 dies from this, there have been cases where the rog3 would die while charging, i had 3 cases reported to me and all 3 had been while charging.
I will repeat this, this is merely a theory right now, so do not quote this as a fact until we got way more data on this.
27 REPLIES 27

ZT-6ba223c6
Rising Star I
Just a side note that might be totally wrong or just a coincidence.. I could ask a mod to delete this comment if it's totally unrelated but many issues I saw were only with CN -> WW converted devices.
I can only speak about XDA but the very large majority (actually all I saw, but not all answered their phones origin) said they bought a CN -> WW converted phone. As said maybe this is just a coincidence but a software issue in that convertion might eventually have something to do with the phone requesting for more voltage - especially since CN versions are shipped everywhere in the world + they are cheaper.
Of course here are many use cases with WW versions as well - so it might be bullshit - but it seemed suspicious to me a few months ago.

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
ZT-6ba223c6

Just a side note that might be totally wrong or just a coincidence.. I could ask a mod to delete this comment if it's totally unrelated but many issues I saw were only with CN -> WW converted devices.

I can only speak about XDA but the very large majority (actually all I saw, but not all answered their phones origin) said they bought a CN -> WW converted phone. As said maybe this is just a coincidence but a software issue with that convertion might eventually have something to do with the phone requesting for more voltage - especially since CN versions are shipped everywhere in the world + they are cheaper.

Of course here are many use cases with WW versions as well - so it might be bullshit - but it seemed suspicious to me a few months ago.

View post
Theres a Possibility as software glitches and fails proper communication with ic and charger
If if thats not the case than what i am saying can be a BS 😂

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ZT-6ba223c6

I can only speak about XDA but the very large majority (actually all I saw, but not all answered their phones origin) said they bought a CN -> WW converted phone. As said maybe this is just a coincidence but a software issue with that convertion might eventually have something to do with the phone requesting for more voltage - especially since CN versions are shipped everywhere in the world + they are cheaper.

View post
I think the coincidence is more than likely caused by the fact that the market where the Rog5 is mostly being sold is in Asia, meaning most phones are obviously going to be tencent models that are crossflashed. I don't think the VRM of global vs tencent are any different, at least I would be shocked if they were.
Not only that but in the western world its common to get a replacement unit or rather fast service, while especially in india, we have a pleatera of horror storries regarding low performing service centers which obviously makes the user find even more help on XDA, Zentalk and the like. It's still worth investigating tho, I mean we have had quite some surprises in the past.
Also turns out some phones do support 20v, xiaomi 120w phones for instance, so they do exist, however I start to doubt that the Rog series likes 20v mode or rather is built for it.
Just a sidenote i feel like mentioning.

ronald1985
Community Legend I
ZT-6ba223c6

View post
There is something called hard brick of a phone not because of charging so the theory about phones dying doesn't mean it's because charging.
Danish is asking only charging questions, which makes this topic very bias.
For example, if only people who had dead ROG during charging, those people would be responding to this post and that does not represent the cause of the issue but it maybe one of many causes.