This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 - green tint, possible custom hue?

kudlosh
Star II
Hello,
will you please add a possibility to customize hue (tint) in the custom display settings? If yes, when? If not, why? (:
I'm asking, because I have tried several Zenfone 8 phones and some displays had bad viewing angles (strong purple "waves") or good viewing angles but green tint, to which I'm quite sensitive. Viewing angles cannot be solved, but tint easily can, if there is setting for it. Please let me know.
Best regards,
kudlosh
12 REPLIES 12

kudlosh
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/185575#Comment_185575

Let me clearify since you still don't seem to understand.

The viewing angles are on all panels the same, since they are OLED technology, they have an extremely wide viewing angle, however some phones use certain types of glass on top of the display which will decrease viewing angles since reflections will cause distortions in colors and such (not related to tinting etc). The viewing angle thing is 100% the layer on top of the actual panel. As far as I can tell ASUS uses a thicker glass than the competition, trading viewing angle for durability.

The green tint is still a calibration issue I explained earlier and it's still because of the OLED ways of behaving. I already explained it to you, there is no phone that has a perfect calibrated display since all displays would need manual dynamic calibration to be perfect. It will either have tinting issues, crushing blacks or color banding.

Here are some examples of green tint on other phones:

Iphone 12

gsmarena-002.jpg

Samsung S20:

display-aging-issue.png

Samsung Tablet:

gsmarena-001.jpg

These are all unrelated devices but all have green tint. It's not that I showcase the same display on same devices or anything as it should be quite evident, but still all have tinting issues due to lack of dynamic calibration on OLED screens.

To illustrate the problem even further:

https://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_12_units_plagued_by_display_tinting_and_flickering_issues-news-46358...

Note how they say: "some apple Iphone 12 units...." This is because as I mentioned before, due to how panels are not created equal, some will exhibit tinting issues, other will have color banding and others will suffer from crushed blacks. It's really a "pick your poison" situation. If you care about a consistent panel experience you have to go for LCD and avoid OLED or pay a developer like me to create a custom dynamic calibration system that is custom calibrated to your phone. It is absolutely unreasonable to except companies to manually calibrate all phones and expect a reasonable price.

View post
You have showed some examples of bad units from different brands. But we would have to present some statistics to show how often this occurs for what brand/model. For example Apple and Samsung have much higher sales than e.g. Asus or Google.
From my observation (which is not that much) I can say, that from like 7 or 8 Zenfones 8/8 Flip they all had quite a strong rainbow effect. Some had it really annoying, some milder, which lead me to believe it is not due to the technology, but due to inconsistent manufacturing process/bad quality control. On the other hand from cca 7 Xperia 1 and 5, they ALL had no issues with viewing angles. And for example some Xperia 10 phones (which is lower model) had mild rainbow effect. And also several Samsung S20 FE (I think) all had some rainbow effect, but they all had it only very mild.
I've read something about lamination of different layers of display together. This is more expensive, but the lack of it can cause issues.
What I'm trying to say is I completely understand there are differences between displays. But the problem is, if the differences are too large. And the size of the differences can be controlled by manufacturer to some degree. And I think Asus (and for example Google, too, with the display issues for Pixels 2/2 XL) didn't do a great job and such differences are not normal or standard in any way for flagship phones. So far you did not convinced me otherwise about this (:

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
kudlosh

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/185580#Comment_185580

You have showed some examples of bad units from different brands. But we would have to present some statistics to show how often this occurs for what brand/model. For example Apple and Samsung have much higher sales than e.g. Asus or Google.

From my observation (which is not that much) I can say, that from like 7 or 8 Zenfones 8/8 Flip they all had quite a strong rainbow effect. Some had it really annoying, some milder, which lead me to believe it is not due to the technology, but due to inconsistent manufacturing process/bad quality control. On the other hand from cca 7 Xperia 1 and 5, they ALL had no issues with viewing angles. And for example some Xperia 10 phones (which is lower model) had mild rainbow effect. And also several Samsung S20 FE (I think) all had some rainbow effect, but they all had it only very mild.

I've read something about lamination of different layers of display together. This is more expensive, but the lack of it can cause issues.

What I'm trying to say is I completely understand there are differences between displays. But the problem is, if the differences are too large. And the size of the differences can be controlled by manufacturer to some degree. And I think Asus (and for example Google, too, with the display issues for Pixels 2/2 XL) didn't do a great job and such differences are not normal or standard in any way for flagship phones. So far you did not convinced me otherwise about this (:

View post
Seems like you simply want to deny reality, not much I can do there. I told you everything you need to know. It's like trying to explain a flat earther the earth is a globe, impossible task.
You're repeating yourself and you have all the answers above, if you still don't understand I suggest you visit a university and find a professor so he can basicially explain to you the same as I did just maybe more detailed so you finally understand.

kudlosh
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/185613#Comment_185613

Seems like you simply want to deny reality, not much I can do there. I told you everything you need to know. It's like trying to explain a flat earther the earth is a globe, impossible task.

You're repeating yourself and you have all the answers above, if you still don't understand I suggest you visit a university and find a professor so he can basicially explain to you the same as I did just maybe more detailed so you finally understand.

View post
You have posted 4 pictures of devices with green tint on specific brightness which was in 2 cases acknowledged by manufacturers as an issue and was later fixed to some degree with software update. During the Tab S7+ case they wrote it was software bug as it happens also on non-oled displays. It definitely is not something normal or standard or maybe even specific to OLED displays only.
The rainbow effect when tilting might be from thicker glass usage, but that does not explain why:
1. There are huge differences in severity where 1 Zenfone is almost fine and other has strong wide pink strip on the display when tilting more than about 15° which borders with unusable for reading text on white background, because when the top is white, the bottom is already pink.
2. Flagships from Samsung I've seen had this issue but all only mild, while lower models had it more severe. This might be a coincidence (though ~5 devices next to each other from each group is not a sample that small), but might also show a tendency.
Both of these experiences point not only to used technology but also to something in the manufacturing process that can be controlled better or worse.
I kind of expect some quality problems with lower smartphone models, but certainly not with flagship phones. In other words, I don't expect to have to RMA several devices to get one with acceptable display when buying a flagship phone for 700€. Is this normal for you?