This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 - green tint, possible custom hue?

kudlosh
Star II
Hello,
will you please add a possibility to customize hue (tint) in the custom display settings? If yes, when? If not, why? (:
I'm asking, because I have tried several Zenfone 8 phones and some displays had bad viewing angles (strong purple "waves") or good viewing angles but green tint, to which I'm quite sensitive. Viewing angles cannot be solved, but tint easily can, if there is setting for it. Please let me know.
Best regards,
kudlosh
12 REPLIES 12

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
kudlosh

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/185011#Comment_185011

No, display calibration and tint is not related to the technology. Why would you think it is?

View post
Because I know it is. The reason why a kcal implementation was quite easily possible on older models is due to the fact that the screens where quite generic and used the same generic API to control them. This is why modders could simply implement kcal into their kernel and have that feature work. However the display in the zenfone uses samsungs proprietary API that is being controlled over pixelworks software, this means you have no way of taking control over the display at any given time, especially as the software is designed to automaicly make changes based on certain conditions. Unless pixelworks themselves add that feature into the phone, it will not happen.

kudlosh
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/185013#Comment_185013

Because I know it is. The reason why a kcal implementation was quite easily possible on older models is due to the fact that the screens where quite generic and used the same generic API to control them. This is why modders could simply implement kcal into their kernel and have that feature work. However the display in the zenfone uses samsungs proprietary API that is being controlled over pixelworks software, this means you have no way of taking control over the display at any given time, especially as the software is designed to automaicly make changes based on certain conditions. Unless pixelworks themselves add that feature into the phone, it will not happen.

View post
Ah, I thought you meant OLED as the technology, thanks for explaining (: Anyway, as a customer, I don't want to care about such things. The fact is there are quite a huge differences between displays. Asus should either somehow made the setting available (by negotiating API access?) or made sure all the displays are calibrated properly (better quality control?). I think such problems really should not happen with a flagship phone.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
kudlosh

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/185016#Comment_185016

Ah, I thought you meant OLED as the technology, thanks for explaining (: Anyway, as a customer, I don't want to care about such things. The fact is there are quite a huge differences between displays. Asus should either somehow made the setting available (by negotiating API access?) or made sure all the displays are calibrated properly (better quality control?). I think such problems really should not happen with a flagship phone.

View post
Sadly what you're asking for is unresonable. Sadly displays are not created equal, this means it would require ASUS to calibrate each and every panel individually and manually in order to be able to offer consistent experience, which in turn would make the price skyrocket and cause issues when trying to update the firmware as it would not be allowed to overwrite the old calibration.
As for setting available, it's unlikely going to happen, it has been suggested multiple times but it doesn't seem pixelworks has any intention of making it happen and since ASUS has to abide to the contract with pixelworks there isn't a single thing they can do about it.
Such problems happen across all flagship phones. If you're sensitive to tint then you should avoid any flagship OLED phone as most have green tint in some way shape or form. Even big companies like Apple and Samsung suffer from green tint issues. There will either be severe black crushing or tinting, a true balance can only be achieved through dynamic calibration which in itself is a massive pain.

kudlosh
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/185333#Comment_185333

Sadly what you're asking for is unresonable. Sadly displays are not created equal, this means it would require ASUS to calibrate each and every panel individually and manually in order to be able to offer consistent experience, which in turn would make the price skyrocket and cause issues when trying to update the firmware as it would not be allowed to overwrite the old calibration.

As for setting available, it's unlikely going to happen, it has been suggested multiple times but it doesn't seem pixelworks has any intention of making it happen and since ASUS has to abide to the contract with pixelworks there isn't a single thing they can do about it.

Such problems happen across all flagship phones. If you're sensitive to tint then you should avoid any flagship OLED phone as most have green tint in some way shape or form. Even big companies like Apple and Samsung suffer from green tint issues. There will either be severe black crushing or tinting, a true balance can only be achieved through dynamic calibration which in itself is a massive pain.

View post
Thank you for replying (:
I don't think what you are saying is true. Just today I've seen like 5 Samsung flagship phones side by side and also several Xperia 1 and 5 phones. Not only they all had, as far as I can tell, really similar color calibration, they all had similarly good viewing angles (no or only very mild rainbow effect), all much better than Zenfone. I have already returned 3 Zenfones 8 because of unbearable rainbow effect while viewing even from a slight angle or strong green tint.
My point is it can be done. Maybe it would need better quality control, which would mean higher price, but it's a decision, not something inherent to the OLED technology.
But I probably agree that at this price point some corner cuts must have been made. Even though I'd rather have better display and worse SoC, for example (:

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
kudlosh

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/185364#Comment_185364

Thank you for replying (:

I don't think what you are saying is true. Just today I've seen like 5 Samsung flagship phones side by side and also several Xperia 1 and 5 phones. Not only they all had, as far as I can tell, really similar color calibration, they all had similarly good viewing angles (no or only very mild rainbow effect), all much better than Zenfone. I have already returned 3 Zenfones 8 because of unbearable rainbow effect while viewing even from a slight angle or strong green tint.

My point is it can be done. Maybe it would need better quality control, which would mean higher price, but it's a decision, not something inherent to the OLED technology.

But I probably agree that at this price point some corner cuts must have been made. Even though I'd rather have better display and worse SoC, for example (:

View post
Let me clearify since you still don't seem to understand.
The viewing angles are on all panels the same, since they are OLED technology, they have an extremely wide viewing angle, however some phones use certain types of glass on top of the display which will decrease viewing angles since reflections will cause distortions in colors and such (not related to tinting etc). The viewing angle thing is 100% the layer on top of the actual panel. As far as I can tell ASUS uses a thicker glass than the competition, trading viewing angle for durability.
The green tint is still a calibration issue I explained earlier and it's still because of the OLED ways of behaving. I already explained it to you, there is no phone that has a perfect calibrated display since all displays would need manual dynamic calibration to be perfect. It will either have tinting issues, crushing blacks or color banding.
Here are some examples of green tint on other phones:
Iphone 12
gsmarena-002.jpg

Samsung S20:
display-aging-issue.png

Samsung Tablet:
gsmarena-001.jpg
These are all unrelated devices but all have green tint. It's not that I showcase the same display on same devices or anything as it should be quite evident, but still all have tinting issues due to lack of dynamic calibration on OLED screens.
To illustrate the problem even further:
Some Apple iPhone 12 units plagued by display tinting and flickering
Note how they say: "some apple Iphone 12 units...." This is because as I mentioned before, due to how panels are not created equal, some will exhibit tinting issues, other will have color banding and others will suffer from crushed blacks. It's really a "pick your poison" situation. If you care about a consistent panel experience you have to go for LCD and avoid OLED or pay a developer like me to create a custom dynamic calibration system that is custom calibrated to your phone. It is absolutely unreasonable to except companies to manually calibrate all phones and expect a reasonable price.