cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System app "Media Storage" seemingly duplicating all of "media" files

at4toast
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ASUS Rog Phone 5 128GB (Tencent)
Firmware Version: Both .86 and .151
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Media Storage (system app)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

I have a ROG 5 Tencent version with Global ROM. Tested on both .86 and .151.
Found out that my storage was for some reason almost full. Checked on Android's storage manager and found that System App "Media Storage" is taking up 30+ gigabytes of space. Also checked with DiskUsage, and it seems this "Media Storage" is exactly the same amount as all data under "media", which would be all videos and downloads (all non-app files). So it seems for some reason the data is being duplicated.

Upon research, I found two things:

1. This also happened to OnePlus users, and apparently the data isn't actually duplicated in Media Storage; it's just incorrectly displayed, and you can go above the displayed storage limit.

2. Happened to some users with WhatsApp. Doesn't apply to me because I don't have WhatsApp, nor have I ever installed it on this device.

The "Clear Storage" & "Clear Cache" options for Media Storage are also greyed out. No option to Force Stop.

Please fix this bug.

1 REPLY 1

FunBike31
Community Legend I
at4toast

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ASUS Rog Phone 5 128GB (Tencent)
  2. Firmware Version: Both .86 and .151
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Media Storage (system app)

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

I have a ROG 5 Tencent version with Global ROM. Tested on both .86 and .151.

Found out that my storage was for some reason almost full. Checked on Android's storage manager and found that System App "Media Storage" is taking up 30+ gigabytes of space. Also checked with DiskUsage, and it seems this "Media Storage" is exactly the same amount as all data under "media", which would be all videos and downloads (all non-app files). So it seems for some reason the data is being duplicated.

Upon research, I found two things:

1. This also happened to OnePlus users, and apparently the data isn't actually duplicated in Media Storage; it's just incorrectly displayed, and you can go above the displayed storage limit.

2. Happened to some users with WhatsApp. Doesn't apply to me because I don't have WhatsApp, nor have I ever installed it on this device.

The "Clear Storage" & "Clear Cache" options for Media Storage are also greyed out. No option to Force Stop.

screenshot-20210908-122959807.jpg

diskusage-ss.png

Please fix this bug.

System app "Media Storage" seemingly duplicating all of "media" files
Please fix this bug. 🤔
I believe there is the answer to your request in this thread
https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/46440/rog-phone-5-tencent-edition-with-global-international-r...