cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toch flashlight and face unlock recognition

dron39
Rising Star II
Hi!
I enabled face unlock recognition and noticed that during front camera watching me before recognition is done, I can not use flashlight (torch) on rear panel.
I have flashlight enabled in smart buttons settings (double tap to power button - enable/disable flashlight) and I surprised that after enabling face unlock recognition option I can not use flashlight via double tap to power button. In the dark (where flashlight is needed and by the way face recognition is not working) face recognition try to recognize me for very long time and flashlight can not be used during this procedure. Even if I bind flashlight to countinously holding of power button - it doesn't matter - once I tap to power once twice or continously - face recognition option on front camera start immidiately and flashlight on rear camera can not be used.

Kindly ask you to fix it and enable using flashlight on rear panel while front camera is active.

@Gustav_ASUS @Kris_ASUS @CH_ASUS @Anders_ASUS @Irene2_ASUS
9 REPLIES 9

dron39
Rising Star II
@Irene2_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS
The exact instructions are in @Alex's message.
I have no idea why flashlight on rear panel can not be used while front camera is in progress. It's nonsense as many devices on the market have such option.

So, no matter if it's day or night when face recognition is in progress - you won't be able to use flashlight. It's good if it's day time and I do not wear sunglasses or mask. Face recognition works very good and prompt by the way when it's day time. But it doesn't work and don't shut off front camera recognition in low light time (evening/night) when flashlight is really needed.
When you push power button once/twice/thrice/continously - it will always turn screen on (because of first pressing to power button) and that's why there is no way that flashlight binded to power button will be switched on before (earlier than) face recognition is started. Because it seems that face recognition is starting along (in the same time) when display switched on.
Yes, i'm on latest firmware .103.
Screen of Smart button settings attached.

I guess face recognition shouldn't be started if light sensor detect that there is not enough light to recognize face (evening, night etc.). And it should be tecetcted before flashlight is switched on to skip face recognition. Or just enable possibility to use flashlight when rear camera is active.

Kindly ask you to discuss it with your software developers. I thnk such behavior can be fixed, as I told above - many phones even in low and mid range of different brands have possibility to use front camera and flashlight on rear - out of the box.
screenshot-20210819-171738828-281-29.jpg

dron39
Rising Star II
It's nice that ASUS not only hears us but also listen to. This behavior was fixed in .115 update.
But please check behavior of front camera while turning display off.
For example phone in standby. Then I double click on "power" smart button - it will run torch(flashlight) and also turn display on. Then I again double click on "power" smart button - it will switch off torch (flashlight) and dispaly remain switched on. Then I once click on "power" smart button - dispaly will be turned off, but during this I see that face recognition seems to start recognition process because I see green point and circle around front camera.

I think behavior should be 1) To not turn on display if "power" smart button pressed 1+ times or continously for flashlight. 2) To not run face recognition when phone sent to standby from display on state.

Alex_s
Rising Star I
Thank you Asus for fixing this issue 👍

pio_zen
Rising Star II
Face recognition should also work in dark environment.
On OnePlus 7 there was an option in face unlock options to use screen light in dark. And it worked.

dron39
Rising Star II
dron39

It's nice that ASUS not only hears us but also listen to. This behavior was fixed in .115 update.

But please check behavior of front camera while turning display off.

For example phone in standby. Then I double click on "power" smart button - it will run torch(flashlight) and also turn display on. Then I again double click on "power" smart button - it will switch off torch (flashlight) and dispaly remain switched on. Then I once click on "power" smart button - dispaly will be turned off, but during this I see that face recognition seems to start recognition process because I see green point and circle around front camera.

I think behavior should be 1) To not turn on display if "power" smart button pressed 1+ times or continously for flashlight. 2) To not run face recognition when phone sent to standby from display on state.

View post
@Gustav_ASUS @Irene2_ASUS @Kris_ASUS @Anders_ASUS
Hi,
Could you please let me know your comments about this?