cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

Chris1
Rising Star II
FP is significantly improved on my side.

pio_zen
Rising Star II
Chris1

FP is significantly improved on my side.

View post
I thought the same but a few hours later again it started to be hit or miss

daniel91m
Rising Star II
After returning from repair, I tested the fingerprint sensor without the protective glass - it worked very well. Today I glued a hybrid glass with a thickness of 0.16 mm and I can see a decrease in performance, but it still works quite effectively. before the repair, I had a very good glass but thickness of 0.3mm, unfortunately with such a protector, the fingerprint sensor is useless.
Huawei P30 with 0.3mm glass (ten same model) sensors still work decently.

pio_zen
Rising Star II
I have a hybrid glass 0.3mm and after 3 weeks sensor started to be much more reliable - I don't know why , maybe repeated presses of finger somehow better glued glass to then screen?
But I confirm that before application of protective glass it was ok.
For me great feature is that sensor is active on screen off without AOD or lock screen.