cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Night light issue - intermittent contrast changes

belegdol
Star III
Hi,
my Zenfone 8 is exhibiting a strange issue with Night Light: whenever it is active, every now and again the display will go into a kind of ultra-low-contrast mode, with blacks getting grey and everything looking washed out in general. It happens in particular when watching youtube or browsing reddit. Is anybody else seeing this? Is this a software or rather a hardware issue?
11 REPLIES 11

kudlosh
Star II

Gustav_ASUS

@belegdol It's an OLED characteristic. As I said in my previous post, please use the 60 or 120 Hz mode if you find 90 Hz not to your liking at low brightness.

View post
Gustav_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/182001#Comment_182001

Yeah, that's not the case. No problem! 🙂

View post
There is quite a huge loss of quality when using 90Hz on very low brightness. I definitely wouldn't say this is normal.
On very low brightness (less than ~10%):
90Hz has washed out colors and low contrast. This is unusable for example for browsing photos in darkness.
60 and 120Hz have better contrast. Usable, but are still a bit washed out.
60Hz with DC dimming has, I'd say, normal contrast and colors, but the display shows weird stripy texture when displaying large areas of gray color. This is quite annoying when for example reading webpage or using app with gray background.
I owned Pixel 2, which only supported 60Hz, it had even lower lowest brightness and I do not remember anything like this.
Will this possibly be addressed and resolved in future updates? Or is it possible that there are some "bad" batches of displays?

AmitGarde
Community Legend II
kudlosh

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181996#Comment_181996

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/182002#Comment_182002

There is quite a huge loss of quality when using 90Hz on very low brightness. I definitely wouldn't say this is normal.

On very low brightness (less than ~10%):

• 90Hz has washed out colors and low contrast. This is unusable for example for browsing photos in darkness.
  • 60 and 120Hz have better contrast. Usable, but are still a bit washed out.
  • 60Hz with DC dimming has, I'd say, normal contrast and colors, but the display shows weird stripy texture when displaying large areas of gray color. This is quite annoying when for example reading webpage or using app with gray background.

I owned Pixel 2, which only supported 60Hz, it had even lower lowest brightness and I do not remember anything like this.

Will this possibly be addressed and resolved in future updates? Or is it possible that there are some "bad" batches of displays?

View post
Probably OLED panels having higher refresh rates behaves same on 90hz & about pixel 2 it was only a 60hz OLED panel. And about overall display quality it will be tunned with every possible update. But you can still share some proofs which will make more easy for developers to dig into & address the issue more clearly.
Thanks!