cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

gluchy81
Star I
The same problem with my phone. Sometimes works but most of the cases it's not (especially when first attempt fail). In parallel, my old phones (Realme 7Pro and Nokia 7.1) works without any problems and much faster. I thought new Zenfone is a bit high-end phone....but looks it's not. I still believe it will be improved with new software but for now it's not worth to buy because of that problem.

pio_zen
Rising Star II
Maybe issues with scanner are related to backlight? Too bright maybe etc. and that produces image with too little contrast (overexposure?). I noticed that FP scanner on oneplus 7 (runs like capacitive in blink of an eye) has green backlight instead of white.
Backlight of FP is so bright and strong on ZF8 that it lights through finger.
I don't mind if unlocking takes second - but it's random success in unlocking is irritating.

pio_zen
Rising Star II
My latest observation concernig FP scanner (might be wrong). It works more reliable and faster when I press quickly and hold finger. If I try to put finger slower it takes more time to unlock. Maybe there is some problem connected with touch digitizer? It senses finger a little too early and try to scan fingerprint when it is not placed entirely on scanner?

There are some good features of that FP scanner. That you don't have to wake screen to make it work. Just press if you remember where it is located even without AOD.

pio_zen
Rising Star II
Latest update.
after 2 days of usage, FP scanner started to be surprisingly accurate and faster (not the fastest though) - using harder to read finger.
Interesting... is there some machine learning?

pio_zen
Rising Star II
Again it is hit or miss. Once fast, once slow, once not recognizing. Are you doing something with that? Is it software or hardware problem?
I still think it is a problem with too strong backlight.