thejus44
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 5
Firmware Version: 2106.86
Rooted or not: Yes
Frequency of Occurrence: NA
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Greetings, mods
I have a few questions about RAM management. When I first got the phone during the first week of June, the idle RAM usage was hovering around 4.5 GB at all times. Now since I'm on 2106.86 the idle RAM usage is around 3.7 to 4.1 GB, which is quite an improvement, but still on the higher side for idle usage, I feel like. Because when I reboot my phone the usage is around 2.7 GB. Obviously cached processes and other background tasks will pile up as I use my phone, but 3.7-4 still seems to be on the higher side. Any ideas if it will be optimised further in any update?

Other than that, I just wanted to thank the people behind this phone for their fantastic work. I haven't had many battery issues, software is extremely smooth, performance is great, and overall I'm loving the experience of this phone. I think audio quality sounded better on previous versions (maybe you could see if that is indeed the case) and it heated up a bit when I was doing heavy web browsing but otherwise no real complaints.
P.S any upcoming features in updates? I'd love to know. One feature that I really wanted is if the clock and notification icons could flash along with the fingerprint indicator when we pick up the phone. We have AOD as an option but it's either keep AOD on or off, not if you simply want to pick up the phone and glance at it for a few seconds. Just a suggestion, keep up the good work!

3 REPLIES 3

Lord_Messi
Zen Master II
Did you already tried updated to latest firmware?
Now my phone has better idle RAM usage. It's only 3.1-3.2 compared to before
It's reduced phone temperature too

ARP_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi thejus44,
The RAM usage is always better as more Apps are in memory and ready to use. The more idle RAM makes no sense though the difference is never accurate. The Apps and your usage pattern it accordingly optimizes.
The concern should be whether you have any performance issues. If none then no need to worry.
For any feature request you can post here - https://zentalk.asus.com/en/categories/ideas

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Hi
Lord_Messi 
Optiflex allows you to better manage memory usage, you can set it to automatic or manual for specific needs.
I use a game with 2 sessions a lot and I switch from one to the other, with the auto setting, android kill the session in the background and I have to restart a new session each time I call the session which was in the background. My setting is therefore in manual, auto selection Off, accelerate ON and only the applications that I want are ON.
Auto-selection based on usage includes apps that force launch services like facebook, in effect if you don't use Facebook it's to the detriment of apps you are using.
In your case, with your reboot problems every 2 / 3d, I will focus on these settings.

ARP_ASUS
I would like to take this opportunity to thank ASUS a lot, it is one of the very rare phones that pass the DontKillMyApp test with a result of 100% and allow you to use applications in the background without forced shutdown.