This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 Flip with AT&T

eastman51
Star I
Just got my Zenfone 8 Flip in the mail today, It definitely seems like a great phone so far.
However, I'm having some big issues with my carrier, AT&T. I went to my local retail AT&T location for them to get me a new sim and set up my phone number with the new IMEI and new sim.
On their end, everything is good. Everywhere I look, the Flip version is supposed to support AT&T's network bands.
I can make calls, send texts, all that. But I cannot access mobile data at all. Even tried a second brand new sim. For fun, I even swapped the sim into my Asus Zenfone 6 (my old phone), and it no longer has mobile data either....
At this point I've called tech support and I've got a ticket in. I'll give them the 24-48 hour window before I make the decision to return the Flip.
I see no reason the Flip shouldn't work. My plan doesn't have 5G, so that's not a huge deal. But I would need it to continue to work after AT&T's 3G sundown in Feb 2022. But if I must, I still have until the 14th of Sept to return the Flip and I'll have to consider other options. The lack of an sd slot in the non-flip 8 is not idea at all.
Edit: According to T-Mobile my Flip's IMEI is 5G and VOLTE compatible, so if AT&T doesn't work I may switch carriers.
12 REPLIES 12

Roystoys
Zen Master III
PS I don't have a zenfone 8 flip but I do have a zenfone 7 but as both run on A11 and zen UI 8 I am wondering if your problem is similar to a bug I have had recently. Sometimes if I turn of mobile data via the toggle then turn it on again from the pull down drape it won't actually have access to mobile data even though it says that it's on so I have to go back to the toggle, under settings, and turn it off and on again and it works.
A long shot I know but I thought I would throw it out there,stranger things have happened
Good luck it really sucks when you get a brand new phone, especially when it's a brand new model,and it doesn't work properly so I feel for you brother. Don't give up until they get it To 100% perfect

eastman51
Star I
Roystoys

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/182510#Comment_182510

Have you considered axing at&t and try a different Telco?

View post
I was thinking about it, but I don't think switching providers is worth my time right now.
Roystoys

PS I don't have a zenfone 8 flip but I do have a zenfone 7 but as both run on A11 and zen UI 8 I am wondering if your problem is similar to a bug I have had recently. Sometimes if I turn of mobile data via the toggle then turn it on again from the pull down drape it won't actually have access to mobile data even though it says that it's on so I have to go back to the toggle, under settings, and turn it off and on again and it works.

A long shot I know but I thought I would throw it out there,stranger things have happened

Good luck it really sucks when you get a brand new phone, especially when it's a brand new model,and it doesn't work properly so I feel for you brother. Don't give up until they get it To 100% perfect

View post
I rebooted the phone and turned mobile data off and on many many times.

johndalicandro
Star II
I have purchased 2 Zenfone 8s. One has the IMEI confused with a "Free" samsung that AT&T sent me thinking the Zenfone wasn't 4g/5g capable. That one has voLTE working. The other, they will not make work. It's definitely certification white-listing issues; I'm so pissed off at both ASUS and AT&T - - I bought these phones when they first came out (May 28,2021) and didn't know of any issue until mid-July when AT&T said that my phones weren't 5G compatible. What a crock. ASUS will not refund because I'm outside 30days, and AT&T will not help. I'm continually bothering both company's customer service, and will continue to do so until something changes.