This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 Flip with AT&T

eastman51
Star I
Just got my Zenfone 8 Flip in the mail today, It definitely seems like a great phone so far.
However, I'm having some big issues with my carrier, AT&T. I went to my local retail AT&T location for them to get me a new sim and set up my phone number with the new IMEI and new sim.
On their end, everything is good. Everywhere I look, the Flip version is supposed to support AT&T's network bands.
I can make calls, send texts, all that. But I cannot access mobile data at all. Even tried a second brand new sim. For fun, I even swapped the sim into my Asus Zenfone 6 (my old phone), and it no longer has mobile data either....
At this point I've called tech support and I've got a ticket in. I'll give them the 24-48 hour window before I make the decision to return the Flip.
I see no reason the Flip shouldn't work. My plan doesn't have 5G, so that's not a huge deal. But I would need it to continue to work after AT&T's 3G sundown in Feb 2022. But if I must, I still have until the 14th of Sept to return the Flip and I'll have to consider other options. The lack of an sd slot in the non-flip 8 is not idea at all.
Edit: According to T-Mobile my Flip's IMEI is 5G and VOLTE compatible, so if AT&T doesn't work I may switch carriers.
12 REPLIES 12

eastman51
Star I
image.png
Depending on what comes of AT&T, I will call Metro/T-Mobile and see what they actually say over the phone. From my understanding, what works and what doesn't is almost entirely carrier-side.
I should also point out my Zenfone 6 worked perfect on AT&T despite not being certified.

Roystoys
Zen Master III
eastman51

Just got my Zenfone 8 Flip in the mail today, It definitely seems like a great phone so far.

However, I'm having some big issues with my carrier, AT&T. I went to my local retail AT&T location for them to get me a new sim and set up my phone number with the new IMEI and new sim.

On their end, everything is good. Everywhere I look, the Flip version is supposed to support AT&T's network bands.

I can make calls, send texts, all that. But I cannot access mobile data at all. Even tried a second brand new sim. For fun, I even swapped the sim into my Asus Zenfone 6 (my old phone), and it no longer has mobile data either....

At this point I've called tech support and I've got a ticket in. I'll give them the 24-48 hour window before I make the decision to return the Flip.

I see no reason the Flip shouldn't work. My plan doesn't have 5G, so that's not a huge deal. But I would need it to continue to work after AT&T's 3G sundown in Feb 2022. But if I must, I still have until the 14th of Sept to return the Flip and I'll have to consider other options. The lack of an sd slot in the non-flip 8 is not idea at all.

Edit: According to T-Mobile my Flip's IMEI is 5G and VOLTE compatible, so if AT&T doesn't work I may switch carriers.

Zenfone 8 Flip with AT&T
If both your Z 6 and Z 8 don't have mobile data working it has to be either the Sim card or the Telco . That seems like the only reason

eastman51
Star I
Roystoys

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/52012/zenfone-8-flip-with-at-t

If both your Z 6 and Z 8 don't have mobile data working it has to be either the Sim card or the Telco . That seems like the only reason

View post
Yes. I'm waiting to see if the ticket I had submitted over the tech support line resolves the issue.
If not, I'll consider calling t-mobile and returning the phone for a normal Zenfone 8. However, I cannot seem to find any "US Version" Zenfone 8s, only "International" or "Global"
I another thing to try, is return to the retail store and see if they can get the Zenfone 6 working again, then try the Zenfone 8 Flip one more time before calling it quits.

eastman51
Star I
Well, nothing really came of their support tickets.
I visited the retail store again, and technically got it working. We tied the sim to the imei of a Galaxy S10e I got for free from somewhere, and that worked great. I tried swapping the sim into the Flip, and while I did get data connectivity back, it looked like it was only pulling 3G. Chances are it would stop working come Feb when AT&T's 3G network is shut down.
Theoretically it would work on Metro/T-Mobile, but at this point its not worth my time. I'll look for other options, and maybe AT&T adds better support for the non-Flip Zenfone 8 over the coming weeks.
PS, I hate Samsung's Android UI. ZenUI is leagues better.

Roystoys
Zen Master III
eastman51

Well, nothing really came of their support tickets.

I visited the retail store again, and technically got it working. We tied the sim to the imei of a Galaxy S10e I got for free from somewhere, and that worked great. I tried swapping the sim into the Flip, and while I did get data connectivity back, it looked like it was only pulling 3G. Chances are it would stop working come Feb when AT&T's 3G network is shut down.

Theoretically it would work on Metro/T-Mobile, but at this point its not worth my time. I'll look for other options, and maybe AT&T adds better support for the non-Flip Zenfone 8 over the coming weeks.

PS, I hate Samsung's Android UI. ZenUI is leagues better.

View post
Have you considered axing at&t and try a different Telco?