This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 Flip with AT&T

eastman51
Star I
Just got my Zenfone 8 Flip in the mail today, It definitely seems like a great phone so far.
However, I'm having some big issues with my carrier, AT&T. I went to my local retail AT&T location for them to get me a new sim and set up my phone number with the new IMEI and new sim.
On their end, everything is good. Everywhere I look, the Flip version is supposed to support AT&T's network bands.
I can make calls, send texts, all that. But I cannot access mobile data at all. Even tried a second brand new sim. For fun, I even swapped the sim into my Asus Zenfone 6 (my old phone), and it no longer has mobile data either....
At this point I've called tech support and I've got a ticket in. I'll give them the 24-48 hour window before I make the decision to return the Flip.
I see no reason the Flip shouldn't work. My plan doesn't have 5G, so that's not a huge deal. But I would need it to continue to work after AT&T's 3G sundown in Feb 2022. But if I must, I still have until the 14th of Sept to return the Flip and I'll have to consider other options. The lack of an sd slot in the non-flip 8 is not idea at all.
Edit: According to T-Mobile my Flip's IMEI is 5G and VOLTE compatible, so if AT&T doesn't work I may switch carriers.
12 REPLIES 12

Irene2_ASUS
Zen Master I
Hi @eastman51,
Please double check your APN settings, you can find this online or just contacting your carrier.
Settings-> Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> Access Point Names

mickey10021
Rising Star II
eastman51

Just got my Zenfone 8 Flip in the mail today, It definitely seems like a great phone so far.

However, I'm having some big issues with my carrier, AT&T. I went to my local retail AT&T location for them to get me a new sim and set up my phone number with the new IMEI and new sim.

On their end, everything is good. Everywhere I look, the Flip version is supposed to support AT&T's network bands.

I can make calls, send texts, all that. But I cannot access mobile data at all. Even tried a second brand new sim. For fun, I even swapped the sim into my Asus Zenfone 6 (my old phone), and it no longer has mobile data either....

At this point I've called tech support and I've got a ticket in. I'll give them the 24-48 hour window before I make the decision to return the Flip.

I see no reason the Flip shouldn't work. My plan doesn't have 5G, so that's not a huge deal. But I would need it to continue to work after AT&T's 3G sundown in Feb 2022. But if I must, I still have until the 14th of Sept to return the Flip and I'll have to consider other options. The lack of an sd slot in the non-flip 8 is not idea at all.

Edit: According to T-Mobile my Flip's IMEI is 5G and VOLTE compatible, so if AT&T doesn't work I may switch carriers.

Zenfone 8 Flip with AT&T
If you are in the US. Just be aware that VoLTE may not work on T-Mobile because the 8 Flip isn't sell officially and so it's not certified.
The only option is to return the unit and buy something else that sell there officially like Zenfone 8 or Rog Phone 5
One guy had 8 Flip before and then sold it because of no VoLTE on T-Mobile

eastman51
Star I
Irene2_ASUS

Hi @eastman51,

Please double check your APN settings, you can find this online or just contacting your carrier.

Settings-> Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> Access Point Names

View post
I verified my APN settings against AT&T and they are good.

eastman51
Star I
mickey10021

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/52012/zenfone-8-flip-with-at-t

If you are in the US. Just be aware that VoLTE may not work on T-Mobile because the 8 Flip isn't sell officially and so it's not certified.

The only option is to return the unit and buy something else that sell there officially like Zenfone 8 or Rog Phone 5

One guy had 8 Flip before and then sold it because of no VoLTE on T-Mobile

View post
I don't specifically need VOLTE functionality. Especially seeing as I don't really make many phone calls. The important thing is that the phone at least supports HD Voice and 5G, and of course continues to work without 3G.
The Zenfone 8 is an option, but the smaller screen and camera cutout are not things I'm particularly keen on. I love Asus' Flip models because of the distinct lack of a front camera I have never ever used.