cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toch flashlight and face unlock recognition

dron39
Rising Star II
Hi!
I enabled face unlock recognition and noticed that during front camera watching me before recognition is done, I can not use flashlight (torch) on rear panel.
I have flashlight enabled in smart buttons settings (double tap to power button - enable/disable flashlight) and I surprised that after enabling face unlock recognition option I can not use flashlight via double tap to power button. In the dark (where flashlight is needed and by the way face recognition is not working) face recognition try to recognize me for very long time and flashlight can not be used during this procedure. Even if I bind flashlight to countinously holding of power button - it doesn't matter - once I tap to power once twice or continously - face recognition option on front camera start immidiately and flashlight on rear camera can not be used.

Kindly ask you to fix it and enable using flashlight on rear panel while front camera is active.

@Gustav_ASUS @Kris_ASUS @CH_ASUS @Anders_ASUS @Irene2_ASUS
9 REPLIES 9

Irene2_ASUS
Zen Master I
Hi @dron39,
Are you on the latest 51.103 update?
I've tried on a couple of devices and I couldn't reproduce what you are describing.
Are you having this only on low light conditions? Or does it happen always?

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@dron39
"Even if I bind flashlight to countinously holding of power button"
I don't seem to have that option on my Zenfone 8. Can you please share a screenshot of your smart key settings?
I also can't replicate your scenario. Do you get any kind of message telling you that the flashlight is unavailable when you press the power button twice?
The smart key flashlight + face recognition combination can actually act up in small ways because AFAIK you can't trigger the camera and flashlight at the same time outside of the camera app. So when you double-press the power button it will sometimes recognize your face before activating the flashlight and vice versa. If it's the latter, you'll need to swipe up on the lock screen to trigger the camera again. But that's not really what you're describing.

Alex_s
Rising Star I
This is an annoying limitation. Every cheap Xiaomi can do this.

@Irene2_ASUS enable face unlock, enable smart button for double tap to turn on torch, turn off screen, cover the front camera and try to enable torch by double pressing power button.

dron39
Rising Star II
Alex's gave correct advice how to reproduce it. Please try both to reproduce it.
@Irene2_ASUS
>>Are you on the latest 51.103 update?
Yes, correct.
>>Are you having this only on low light conditions? Or does it happen always?
Usually I use flashlight in low light condition. But for example if I wear mask or do something which will increase time of recognition of my face - I will not be able to use flashlight until it's done.
When it's daylight and I have no sunglasses or mask - face recognition works very fast (1 second or less), but usually nobody use flashlight when it's daylight 🙂 . And if i wear mask or glasses it will try to recognize my face and during this procedure I won't be able to use flashlight on rear panel.

@Gustav_ASUS
>>I don't seem to have that option on my Zenfone 8. Can you please share a screenshot of your smart key settings?
Sure. Please check attachment.

>>Do you get any kind of message telling you that the flashlight is unavailable when you press the power button twice?
Yes. Message is "Фонарик в данный момент недоступен" or something like "Flashlight is not available at the moment." in EN translation.
>>I also can't replicate your scenario.
Just enable face unlock recognition option. Bind twice tap on power key to flashlight and try to use it when your face in mask or sunglasses or not in front of front camera. You will see that message on your screen instead of flashlight.
It was never happen for me when recognition of face was finished before flashlight was switched on. Even in daylight - I always can't use flashlight binded on power key if face recognition is on.
Of course I can switch phone on, wait when recognition is finished and only then turn flashlight with power button. But it's nonsense. And what if it's dark or i wear mask or sunglasses and can not take them off at the moment.

It looks like device can not use flashlight on rear camera while front camera is active, which was mentioned by @Alex's and it's nonsense for me, as many other phones on the market can do that...
Kindly ask you to talk with your developers. I hope this can be fixed...