cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Fixed) Asus ROG Phone 3: Kunai 3 gamepad not working due to Android 11

moose4261
Star I
Hello everyone,
I recently updated the firmware in the Asus ROG Phone 3 to Android 11.
Once attempting to use the Kunai 3 gamepad, it failed to work.
Cleaned the contacts, and troubleshooted the device.
After all attempts failed, I used the firmware downgrade back to Android 10 that is available on the Asus website.
Happy to share that this was the cause of the issue, and the accessory is now working again.
I am not surprised to be honest.
So, if anyone is having issues, I would suggest downgrading the firmware back to Android 10, until Asus releases an update that works.
Be aware that downgrading the firmware will format the phone, and erase the data.
Cheers!
9 REPLIES 9

jin_akira
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/179622#Comment_179622

What kind of weird ass emulators do you use? All popular emulators have built in controller support, even the really weird ones.

View post
The controller support is there, its just that most did not recognise my gamepad because of the Game Genie overlay. When i was searching ways to fix it, the Android 11 issue came out as well which led me to turn off the Game Genie. After that removing them from Game Genie everything worked. The virtual button mapping on Game Genie is more applicable to mobile gaming and not emulators

jin_akira
Rising Star I
Okay i received the FOTA today and updated to Android 11 without any issues. As raised by @moose4261, the Kunai 3 Gamepad indeed stopped working however after disabling all apps enabled in the Accessibility setting, it worked again; both USB and Bluetooth mode. I tested on Genshin Impact (via Game Genie's virtual button mapping) and all the emulators i'm using, all works as before. Therefore as mentioned by @rogeriskira, the fix is to disable apps in the Accessibility settings as this is an Android 11 issue, not our firmware. The way i did it was by disabling all apps (such as Screenshot, Accessibility Menu, etc) and re-enabling them one by one until i am able to determine the specific app causing issues when enabled. So far, i have determined the Accessibility Menu (swipe two fingers up from the bottom to access the menu) will cause issues with the gamepad. Screenshot can still be enabled without issues.

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
Big thanks for reporting this. @jin_akira @rogeriskira @moose4261
I'll pass it on to the devs along with the information in this thread. Please stick around in case I need your help with device logs. 😘

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@jin_akira @rogeriskira @moose4261
I've sent you device log instructions via PM. Would help us confirm the root cause for this issue, so please check it out.

Sora_Synn_Gamin
Star III
My issue is that my rog phone 3 isn't picking up the kunai 3 gamepad Bluetooth. It doesn't show up. But if I search for it on my cousins ipad, it's there. I'm not sure what I should do. Any ideas? (I already tried resetting network settings on my phone... Twice, but it still cannot find the kunai 3 gamepads Bluetooth)