This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 8 seems to be bricked. I have no idea what to do.

idris3396
Star III
So, I was using the phone as usual and all of a sudden, the screen went black/blank as if the phone had been turned off.
The next thing I know, the phone boots up to this screen.
pxl-20210814-194605423.jpg

I searched online and found that my phone has possibly been bricked. This used to happen with ROG Phone 2. I found a few videos online showing how to fix this in ROG Phone 2 however, I couldn't find anything for the ZenFone 8.
I did find a Reddit post where another user had faced this exact same problem with their ZenFone 8 as well.
Link to the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/owelrj/bricked_zenfone_8/
I have no idea what to do now. I bought this phone in July.
I would really appreciate some help.
Thank you!
58 REPLIES 58

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
idris3396

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181821#Comment_181821

Yeah, maybe. Now even I am starting to wonder if this is a hardware issue. I agree with your point about flash memories however, I've never had that issue with any of my previous devices nor do I know anyone who had their phone's storage get randomly corrupted. I have no idea what's going on with my device.

This isn't something I expected from a flagship device from a company like ASUS.

I just got an email from ASUS India's technical team and they stated that they cannot help me as the device is not yet launched in India. I honestly don't know what to do. There is no confirmed launch date available for India so I am not even sure how long I'll have to wait.

I cannot even send the phone back to Hong Kong, where I imported it from. I paid over $300 in import fees and I'll be required to pay the same again once the repaired phone is sent back to me. That is simply not an option.

ZenFone 8 is literally the only device that I know of with flagship specs in a compact form factor. ZenUI also provides a near Stock Android experience. This is the primary reason why I purchased and imported the device.

I hate to say it but I am kinda regretting the decision right now.

View post
It happens, you see posts of users suddenly not being able to boot into their OS, no matter the phone.
Lately ASUS has a strong tendendy to mess things up, the Rog5 being in the absolute worst state right now, It feels like the ASUS dev team is completely understaffed and is being forced to rush out updates without any kind of quality control.
You imported a phone, so obviously you should'nt expect support, this is something you should have been aware of when purchasing your device. When I purchased my Rog3 I fully expected to have to fix it myself, altho I did not expect to have to learn how to create a kernel.
With all new technologies these days, it's better to wait before purchasing anything. You see RTX cards blowing up and phones like the Rog5 being an utter nightmare. Since there is currently no firmware for EDL flashing, so you have a paperweight until a firmware finds itself in the wild.
As mentioned, your best bet is one of the mods being able to provide you with the raw firmware. Otherwise all you can do is wait until a raw firmware file will appear. It could be tomorrow, it could be 6 months from now.

idris3396
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181902#Comment_181902

It happens, you see posts of users suddenly not being able to boot into their OS, no matter the phone.

Lately ASUS has a strong tendendy to mess things up, the Rog5 being in the absolute worst state right now, It feels like the ASUS dev team is completely understaffed and is being forced to rush out updates without any kind of quality control.

You imported a phone, so obviously you should'nt expect support, this is something you should have been aware of when purchasing your device. When I purchased my Rog3 I fully expected to have to fix it myself, altho I did not expect to have to learn how to create a kernel.

With all new technologies these days, it's better to wait before purchasing anything. You see RTX cards blowing up and phones like the Rog5 being an utter nightmare. Since there is currently no firmware for EDL flashing, so you have a paperweight until a firmware finds itself in the wild.

As mentioned, your best bet is one of the mods being able to provide you with the raw firmware. Otherwise all you can do is wait until a raw firmware file will appear. It could be tomorrow, it could be 6 months from now.

View post
Fair enough, I understand. I should've waited a little longer.
To be honest, I am expecting support because there isn't a way to fix it myself. ASUS is the only one who can help me.
Even if they are only able to provide me the required firmware files for EDL flashing, that's good enough for me.
If this is a hardware issue, then I'll just have to wait. But that's alright.
If I have the files, I can atleast make sure whether this is being caused by faulty hardware or not.
Thank you so much for your input. I had no idea even the ROG 5 was having so many issues. I originally planned to buy the ROG 5 as it is available in India and is actually cheaper. However, I decided against it just due to the size of the phone.
I guess I'll just wait.

Dooboo
Rising Star II
idris3396

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181821#Comment_181821

Yeah, maybe. Now even I am starting to wonder if this is a hardware issue. I agree with your point about flash memories however, I've never had that issue with any of my previous devices nor do I know anyone who had their phone's storage get randomly corrupted. I have no idea what's going on with my device.

This isn't something I expected from a flagship device from a company like ASUS.

I just got an email from ASUS India's technical team and they stated that they cannot help me as the device is not yet launched in India. I honestly don't know what to do. There is no confirmed launch date available for India so I am not even sure how long I'll have to wait.

I cannot even send the phone back to Hong Kong, where I imported it from. I paid over $300 in import fees and I'll be required to pay the same again once the repaired phone is sent back to me. That is simply not an option.

ZenFone 8 is literally the only device that I know of with flagship specs in a compact form factor. ZenUI also provides a near Stock Android experience. This is the primary reason why I purchased and imported the device.

I hate to say it but I am kinda regretting the decision right now.

View post
yep same. i regret switching to asus. fortunately, mine is covered with local warranty. hopefully they send me a new one so i can sell it and buy a different brand. perhaps wait for google pixel 6.

Trev
Star I
Guess I'm waiting for this issue to be resolved before I considering buying this phone. It's a shame might have to buy a pixel.

Dooboo
Rising Star II
@Trev dont buy asus phone. crappy phone. will break down on you with in 1 month and may potentially lose all your files and they wont offer refund.
Imagine buying a flagship phone that randomly crashes and have to bring it to service center in a month use? not worth it. even if its half the price.