Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi & Wifi-Hotspot Not Working

freakingrocky
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ASUS Rog Phone 5
Firmware Version: Android 11 (18.0840.2106.86)
Rooted or not: Not Rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
========================================
So my wifi & wifi-hotspot suddenly stopped working. They won't turn on at all (the hotspot says Error when I try turning it on from this screen). I tried booting into safe mode (doesn't work there also). Tried restarting it several times. Not sure what to do anymore. I don't wanna lose data so if you know how to fix this, Let me know.
screenshot-20210725-205943713.jpg

515 REPLIES 515

vrshankar0000
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181807#Comment_181807

No, only if you unlock the bootloader.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/51923/wifi-not-working-try-this

Just to see if its indeed software or hardware.

View post
I have tried downloading the drivers from the official ROG site. They have mentioned that improper installation will void the warranty. That is the reason I haven't done it and gave it to the service center. Because motherboard is very costly right.

Lord_Messi
Zen Master II
vrshankar0000

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181819#Comment_181819

I have tried downloading the drivers from the official ROG site. They have mentioned that improper installation will void the warranty. That is the reason I haven't done it and gave it to the service center. Because motherboard is very costly right.

View post
They mean if you unproperlly install it the it will break your phone and they don't want to do anything about it

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
FunBike31

@Danishblunt 

I quite agree, it's either a software problem or a hardware problem but a mixture of the two, it's a new plot with the manufacturers and the developers 🙂

What was disturbing is that many complained after the update .86 but the new impacted users demonstrate that this is not the case, failures still occur well after the update.

If it was the update, all the users of a SKU at least would have been impacted, the programmers would have forgotten the chipset driver in the firmware !!!

he stays

- A defective 888 series, (or 6900 module) unlikely, although xiaomi has a similar problem on the Mi 11, so far there has been no case with other brands.

- A series of motherboard or a manufacturing process (soaking bath to attach the 888 to the motherboard) temperature resistance and / or bending underestimate?

The FastConnect 6900 is integrated into the 888, it controls wifi, Bluetooh, audio among others, the 888 modules each have their connections, those of the 6900 would pose a problem

Failures - Wifi (QFC6900)

Bugs - Audio (QFC6900) voice robot

The Bluetooh? nobody complains, logically the complete failure of Wifi should affect the BT

For the temperatures of all components, test AIDA64, it is also the only one that I have found that reads the model name I00Dx, so the frequency band

sorry for my English

View post
As you mentioned, the SoC itself is unlikely the suspect as other brand such as samsung with the snapdragon 888 variant does not report any wifi issues related to the entire funtionality being broken. I doubt it has anything to do with the actual manufacturing of the logicboard as well, otherwise the issues would not have happened after an update.
Also the 6900 does not control audio as a whole, it only controls bluetooth audio, which is unrelated to those who experience robotic voices.
You make an excellent point with the bluetooth argument, as normally both go hand in hand due to being in the same chip, that being said, I did see SoC's fail only partly same for desktop CPU's where the integrated graphics would be broken and shorted while the CPU itself was fine.
WIthout users testing, we don't have much to go by, so far my theory is that due to the update, the drivers got messed up and should be fixed via a firmware flash, however it seems nobody here is able to do that.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
vrshankar0000

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181819#Comment_181819

View post
It's literally impossible for them to tell if the phone corrupted the OS or if the user messed up the flashing. So voiding warranty based on flashing their stuff is quite unlikely, as long you do not unlock bootloader, there is no way for them to tell nor should it break warranty.

vrshankar0000
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181878#Comment_181878

It's literally impossible for them to tell if the phone corrupted the OS or if the user messed up the flashing. So voiding warranty based on flashing their stuff is quite unlikely, as long you do not unlock bootloader, there is no way for them to tell nor should it break warranty.

View post
But isn't it necessary to unlock the bootloader to flash firmware or software in the phone? Also, if something is messed up, then it will void the warranty and you have to bear the complete cost of repair. But if the issue happens again then I will surely do it as you said.