This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Wifi performance/jitter compared to other phones

Zinurist
Star II
The Wifi connection seems to be really unstable with the Zenfone 8. Sometimes it hangs for minutes, and in general it seems to be too slow.
I tested it with other phones, they have no problems and are much faster. That's why I think this a problem with the Zenfone specifically.
I made a simple speed test (with the ookla app), here are the results (all using the same Wifi network):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone | Download in Mbps | Upload in Mbps | Jitter in ms
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zenfone 8 | 18 | 36 | 90
Samsung Galaxy S8 | 83 | 42 | 36
iPhone 12 | 82 | 42 | 0.4
On some runs, the Zenfone would even only manage a speed of 0.2-0.3 Mbps (which is I guess when it "hangs").
I think the cause is Jitter. I tried disconnecting most other devices in the Wifi network, and I did manage a better run with 27 Mbps, but only once.
I really don't get why the Zenfone is consistently worse than even a 4 year old phone.
15 REPLIES 15

Zinurist
Star II
Irene2_ASUS

Hi @Zinurist,

I just wanted to check if everything is working fine still since your latest post?

View post
Hi, it's a lot better since I switched to the other router instead of the Wifi repeater, no more connection problems anymore, and the speeds are also good when I'm close to the router. The repeater seems to have been the problem. You can close the issue if you want.