waxy78611
Zen Master I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I'm currently on the .86 update & would like to downgrade.
Main reason to downgrade is to get rid of the media storage battery drain & to have the old speaker quality back.
Unfortunately, I can't downgrade using the ROM from Asus as it says "update failed".
How do I downgrade using a PC? Will I lose my Data?
I'm fully aware I'll Lose Volte & other features & I also know that I'll be on a older security patch... But what's the alternative? It's been almost 1 month & Asus haven't released a fix for the aforementioned bugs.
Infact, it's that time of year again, they're releasing a new phone, in this case the Rog Phone 5s so all their time & attention is there rather than on the Rog 5 issues. Any help would be great.
17 REPLIES 17

FunBike31
Community Legend I
If you succeed, you must not forget that the .86 will still download after the downgrade, (it is preferable not to reboot in wifi to disabled auto update) but it will still download the .86 afterwards.
I think the Rog 5 will then often ask the question "do you want to upgrade" or something like that, and that's a lot more painful than not having RGB for a selfie 🙂

Lord_Messi
Zen Master II
waxy78611

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181266#Comment_181266

Did you manage to downgrade the .86 software?

View post
Yes I did
FunBike31

If you succeed, you must not forget that the .86 will still download after the downgrade, (it is preferable not to reboot in wifi to disabled auto update) but it will still download the .86 afterwards.

I think the Rog 5 will then often ask the question "do you want to upgrade" or something like that, and that's a lot more painful than not having RGB for a selfie 🙂

View post
Nope
Disable automatic download and install update setting and you will be fine
Im happy now with previous version

waxy78611
Zen Master I
FunBike31

View post
Thanks 🙂 will I lose my data if I downgrade?

FunBike31
Community Legend I
there are several methods, with ADB and Fasboot doesn't seem to erase the data but i'm not sure which still works, best is to ask about XDA and which method works from WWW .86

ZT-1c3039ab
Star II
waxy78611

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name:
  2. Firmware Version:
  3. Rooted or not:
  4. Frequency of Occurrence:
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

I'm currently on the .86 update & would like to downgrade.

Main reason to downgrade is to get rid of the media storage battery drain & to have the old speaker quality back.

Unfortunately, I can't downgrade using the ROM from Asus as it says "update failed".

How do I downgrade using a PC? Will I lose my Data?

I'm fully aware I'll Lose Volte & other features & I also know that I'll be on a older security patch... But what's the alternative? It's been almost 1 month & Asus haven't released a fix for the aforementioned bugs.

Infact, it's that time of year again, they're releasing a new phone, in this case the Rog Phone 5s so all their time & attention is there rather than on the Rog 5 issues. Any help would be great.

Downgrade Software
Sadly, you can't downgrade the software version without rooting the phone.