*Special notice is missing for all firmware releases for Android 11

_jis_
Zen Master III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ASUS ZenFone 6 (ZS630KL)
Firmware Version: all firmware releases for Android 11
Rooted or not: that has nothing to do with it
Frequency of Occurrence: every firmware for Android 11
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): that has nothing to do with it
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Users can download new firmware versions from this page:
ZenFone 6|Phones|ASUS GlobalAs everyone can check on this page for themselves, for all firmware versions released for Android 10 there has always been this note: "*Special notice: This upgrade patch only allows to upgrade from Android P 16.1220.1909.194 version to Android Q. The other firmware version can't use this patch file to upgrade."
In other words, if you had the latest version of the previous version of Android (Android 9) installed, you could install any version of the full Android 10 firmware from this page.
That note is missing from all firmware versions released for Android 11. Is there a reason for this? Is it not possible to install any Android 11 firmware version on top of the latest Android 10 firmware version?
Or is it just an oversight on Asus' part?

5 REPLIES 5

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@_jis_
The special note is there to inform users that they need to be on the latest A9 release in order to upgrade to A10. That's the general rule for all major Android upgrades.
I'm 99.9 % sure that's the only thing you need to keep in mind though. You should be able to go from the latest A10 version -> any of the A11 versions straight away.
I'll check why the release notes for A11 updates are different. But this shouldn't cause any practical issues.

_jis_
Zen Master III
I'm 99.9 % sure that's the only thing you need to keep in mind though. You should be able to go from the latest A10 version -> any of the A11 versions straight away.
I think the same thing, which is why I'm surprised that Asus stopped explicitly stating the *Special Notice here, like it did with all previous Android 10 updates.
I'll check why the release notes for A11 updates are different. 
Thank you.
But this shouldn't cause any practical issues.
I disagree with you on this, because a careful user who looks at all those update notes might ask themselves:
Why did they stop listing the *Special Notice for A11 updates?
What if I can't switch from the latest A10 to any A11?
What if nobody at Asus tests these scenarios anymore and therefore, they don't want to guarantee it with that *Special Notice?
What if I must apply a differential OTA update and then another and another before I get to the last one?
Instead of a one-time full update, such a user would have to apply two or three OTA updates in a row.
That's why it's important for Asus to be consistent.

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@_jis_ The description will be updated for future entries to better reflect that it simply means you have to be on the latest A10 version of you want to upgrade to A11.. A11 -> A12 etc.

baster1982
Rising Star II
Gustav_ASUS

@_jis_ The description will be updated for future entries to better reflect that it simply means you have to be on the latest A10 version of you want to upgrade to A11.. A11 -> A12 etc.

View post
Wow Android 12! 🥳