cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Fixed) Asus ROG Phone 3: Kunai 3 gamepad not working due to Android 11

moose4261
Star I
Hello everyone,
I recently updated the firmware in the Asus ROG Phone 3 to Android 11.
Once attempting to use the Kunai 3 gamepad, it failed to work.
Cleaned the contacts, and troubleshooted the device.
After all attempts failed, I used the firmware downgrade back to Android 10 that is available on the Asus website.
Happy to share that this was the cause of the issue, and the accessory is now working again.
I am not surprised to be honest.
So, if anyone is having issues, I would suggest downgrading the firmware back to Android 10, until Asus releases an update that works.
Be aware that downgrading the firmware will format the phone, and erase the data.
Cheers!
9 REPLIES 9

jin_akira
Rising Star I
That's not a fix man, that's still a problem. We shouldn't downgrade our firmware just because they didn't fix the problem it has. I just fixed my Kunai 3 Gamepad and i wouldn't want it to have issues again. Would your phone on Android 11 detect the gamepad via Bluetooth? Have you tried deleting / forgetting the current connection under Paired Devices and reconnect?

rogeriskira
Rising Star I
I also thought Android 11 had an issue with my Rog Kunai 3 not working as I experienced the same. But, then I noticed that Android 11 in general has issues with game-pads and apps that use "Accessibility" Options. So, if you have an app like an "Auto Clicker", "Button Mapper" or anything of the like that uses "Accessibility" will cause your controller to either not respond or buttons will not work.
TO fix the issue you'll need to disable the "Accessibility" option of that app in question (Turn to OFF) and it will then allow your controller to work again.
Once again this is an Android 11 issue not a ROG Phone 3 issue.

jin_akira
Rising Star I
rogeriskira

I also thought Android 11 had an issue with my Rog Kunai 3 not working as I experienced the same. But, then I noticed that Android 11 in general has issues with game-pads and apps that use "Accessibility" Options. So, if you have an app like an "Auto Clicker", "Button Mapper" or anything of the like that uses "Accessibility" will cause your controller to either not respond or buttons will not work.

TO fix the issue you'll need to disable the "Accessibility" option of that app in question (Turn to OFF) and it will then allow your controller to work again.

Once again this is an Android 11 issue not a ROG Phone 3 issue.

View post
Yeah you're right, after searching around it does seem to be an Android 11 issue. And as you've mentioned, the fix is turning off app(s) enabled in Accessibility. What's strange was this issue actually popped up when I was trying to fix the button mapping issue i had with my emulators and i totally forgot about it! @moose4261 since you've already downgraded, might as well re-update and give it another go since the troubleshooting method is simple and straightforward

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
jin_akira

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/179589#Comment_179589

Yeah you're right, after searching around it does seem to be an Android 11 issue. And as you've mentioned, the fix is turning off app(s) enabled in Accessibility. What's strange was this issue actually popped up when I was trying to fix the button mapping issue i had with my emulators and i totally forgot about it! @moose4261 since you've already downgraded, might as well re-update and give it another go since the troubleshooting method is simple and straightforward

View post
What kind of weird ass emulators do you use? All popular emulators have built in controller support, even the really weird ones.